I started my hefeweizen on the 20th (yesterday) and it seemed it got a slow start I guess. The photo below is after like 27 hours. Is this too low of a krausen? Should it be larger? Should I be worried?
1. Whole vial of white labs bavarian yeast.
2. Took it out of the fridge, let it warm to room temp, then shook it. When it was time to pour the wort in the primary I poured the yeast and bru vigor first then the wort. After topping off, I picked up the primary and swirled it. I wasnt sure if I aerated it well enough.
1. even with my hefeweizens, i rarely get a huge krausen unless i make a starter
2. if you topped off with tap water or bottled water, it will give your beer some oxygen. if it was all boiled then there was very little oxygen in there and the yeast didn't reproduce as much as they could (i would not recommend using tap water unless you know its good stuff.) it also means you might have had a longer lag.
3. they'd probably be going crazier if you were at a higher temperature BUT that is a fantastic temp for a weizen. i keep mine in the mid to low 60s.