Hefeweizen high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berley31

Reaction score
Just bottled a hefeweizen beer that consisted of 6.6 lbs Wheat DME, 1 oz Hallertau hops, and Wyeast 3068. OG was 1.062, about what had been predicted. I had built a 3 L starter for the yeast (production date was in September, so while this seems like a large starter, I think mrmalty recommended something like a 9 L one based on the dating), and the beer sat in primary for 3 weeks before bottling. Active fermentation had started within 15 hours or so, and didn't stop bubbling in the airlock for a good 11-12 days.

So, I took a FG before bottling, and it was at 1.020, when it was supposed to be at 1.015 or thereabouts. This was only my second batch of beer; last batch the FG was a little high as well. Any suggestions as to what could have caused this? It was only a partial boil (3 gallons) topped up to 5 gallons; is it harder to hit the FG with partial boils?

It's pretty common for extract brews to get stuck at 1.020 with liquid yeasts. It's possible you under pitched. It is also likely that you pitched fine and the DME you used had a larger amount of unfermentables than predicted.

Do a search of Stuck at 1.020 and read the threads.

Back