hefeweizen help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathomson75

Reaction score
brewed my first hefeweizen from dme today. i pitched yeast and 1/2 hr later the carboy is 1/2 full of sediment ive never had this happen with any other dme brews i made is it normal for this style or is something wrong

Last edited:
Homebrewtalk is not able to handle the request for me to upload but the sediment finally settled to about 3 inches but is the most active fermentation I've had yet huge amounts of blowoff

Yup the hefs require blow offs. My recipe is likely clockwork. At about 24 hrs in it starts to move and about 36 it'll be spewing out the sides of the bucket lid aggressively.

Hefes really build a big head of krausen, so lots of folks use large fermenters that have around 30% headspace. I have a specialty FV just for Hefes that is a 7.8G fermenter pail for a 5.5G batch. A 1/2" hose on the center stem of a 3 piece airlock works for this blowoff. I rarely shift back to a regular airlock from the blowoff as I see no need.

But you mentioned your carboy is half full of "sediment" only a half hour after pitching? Tell us a bit more as large amounts of sediment from an extract beer should not be settling out at this time, much less half full. Do you mean foam on top?

Used 6lb briss Bavarian after pitching within 30 min had the carboy half full of sediment half almost clear Amber was like that for about 12 hrs then the yeast went crazy and it settled to about 3 to 4 inches with the yeast attacking it this was also the first time I've used yeast nutrient

Here finally got it

0725161637-1200x2133.jpg

Semi related...what temp do you think you are fermenting? Looks like you are sitting out in a room, just wondering. Hefes (my favorite) can give off interesting flavors depending the temperatures at which they ferment.

its in a pantry that ive been using for a while i can keep it around 68 to 70 degrees during the summer but unfortunately i have to use danstar munich dry yeast due to the fact i have no reliable source for liquid yeast without driving 100 miles and i have read the the danstar dosnt react to temp as much as the liquids

Back