Hefeweizen Help!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel6615

Reaction score
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster. I recently brewed (attempted to brew) a hefeweizen using WLP300. It is not fermenting. I already know that my OG was much too high at 1.080--not enough room in my boil kettle(s). It has been fermenting for 36 hours at about 71 degrees F. It has not attenuated/fermented at all. Is my beer salvageable? I agitated about 12 hours into fermentation, but still nothing. What can I do? Wait? Repitch a new yeast w/starter? Any help would be...helpful!

Welcome to the forum!

If you did a concentrated boil and didn't top off, you could be having some problems there. I'd definitely top it off to get a gravity of ~1.050. Still, 36 hours is a little short to panic. Signs of fermentation can take up to 72 hours. With such a high OG, it might be taking the yeast a little longer to get started.

i would suggest you to lower the temp to around 62f

how many pounds of DME did you use?

I just made a hefeweisen and my original gravity 1.056 ended at around 1.014

All grain @ 11 lbs. 5lbs pils and 6 lbs wheat. Ended up with 4 gallons, so topping off seems like the best alternative to get back to a "normal" hefeweizen number, no?

Question, since apparently the fermentation hasn't begun, should I worry about oxidation when I top up, or should I try not to disturb the beer? I suppose that I could aerate the water used to top up. Should I repitch yeast?

Question, since apparently the fermentation hasn't begun, should I worry about oxidation when I top up, or should I try not to disturb the beer? I suppose that I could aerate the water used to top up. Should I repitch yeast?

no repitch needed, Yeast is pretty clever, if you didnt kill them it will ferment. can you take a pic of the beer as it is?

Unfortunately negative on the picture because fermenting in plastic bucket. But my satellite (a hydrometer tube) looks the same today as it did when I took the sample except that the yeast and other proteins are settled at the bottom and no sign of krausen or any other activity. Very nice burnt orange coloring though--hey I guess that is something positive.

WLP 300 is one of my favorite yeasts, and I've used it a lot. The first couple times, I didn't make a starter, and just pitched the vial right into the wort. I got very long lag times on both occasions - more than 24 hours. Even now, when I make a starter the yeast still takes longer to get going than many others. However, when it takes off, it's a beast.

Did you make a starter? Did you aerate the wort?

If you answered "no" to both of those questions, then I'm not surprised that the WLP 300 hasn't taken off yet. You have a high gravity wort that needs to be thoroughly aerated. You shocked those poor hefe yeasts by throwing them into a difficult environment. I bet they'll rebound, though. Don't despair yet!

I aerated like a champion so that isn't the issue, but I did not make a starter (yes I have learned my lesson) but in all fairness I didn't expect it to come out at 1.080! Haha, this is my first batch ever and I had an awesome time watching and participating in the transformation! It was such a great experience, and I cannot wait to get started on my second batch.

WLP 300 is one of my favorite yeasts, and I've used it a lot. The first couple times, I didn't make a starter, and just pitched the vial right into the wort. I got very long lag times on both occasions - more than 24 hours. Even now, when I make a starter the yeast still takes longer to get going than many others. However, when it takes off, it's a beast.

I agree the wlp 300 is soo good. Mines went strong for a long time and I tried my hefe last night and it was AMAZING :ban:

I aerated like a champion so that isn't the issue, but I did not make a starter (yes I have learned my lesson) but in all fairness I didn't expect it to come out at 1.080! Haha, this is my first batch ever and I had an awesome time watching and participating in the transformation! It was such a great experience, and I cannot wait to get started on my second batch.

hold on now... back up a sec.... what is going on with your Hefe? fermentation start up for you? don't tell anyone that you dumped it if you did.

I live in a no dumping zone, and no doubt all will be happy to know that IT'S ALIVE. I came home from work, gave it a swirl, and a short time later the air lock was active. I ended up letting the yeast do the work. I guess that's a good lesson, hands off. Now I am getting a pretty solid ferment I think. Thanks again!

Back