Quantcast

Hefeweizen Help

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

chode720

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
527
Reaction score
4
Location
Cleveland
This is my first time brewing a hefeweizen and I am not sure when to bottle it.

It has been fermenting for a week now and the fermentation has all but stopped. I used a yeast started and it was going crazy for the 3 days and now there is no bubbling and my FG is down where my recipe says it should be (1.011)

I have seen to not transfer the hefeweizen to a secondary and to just bottle after the primary, but from what I have read, most people wait a couple weeks for the fermentation to stop.

I guess my question is, is it okay for me to go ahead and bottle after a week and it appears that the fermentation has stopped or should I hold off to be safe?


Thanks!
 

SeamusMac

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2009
Messages
614
Reaction score
5
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Hefe's are a bit different from other beers and are the best for impatient people like myself :D If the gravity is stable at 1.011 then prime and bottle it! Leave it for 2 weeks at 70-72 degrees and test it out, drink em young.

I made the mistake of waiting too long to bottle my first wheat beer and it's kind of bitter now that it's about 2 months since brew day.
 

double_e5

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
900
Reaction score
2
Location
Kansas City
Hefe's are a bit different from other beers and are the best for impatient people like myself :D If the gravity is stable at 1.011 then prime and bottle it! Leave it for 2 weeks at 70-72 degrees and test it out, drink em young.

I made the mistake of waiting too long to bottle my first wheat beer and it's kind of bitter now that it's about 2 months since brew day.
A two month old hefe shouldn't turn bitter. You have something else going on if it was fine then turned bitter.
 

sempf

Hellbranch Brewing
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
134
Reaction score
2
Location
Columbus, Ohio
I brew a ton of hefe and I almost always bottle after 10 days. This latest batch is the first I ever racked, and that was just because I didn't have the time to bottle it. We will see how it turns out.

S
 

nealf

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2008
Messages
1,340
Reaction score
9
Location
Hiram
I am kegging tonight, after 10 days, however there is no risk of bottle bombs in my case... but, if fermentation is done, according to your hydrometer, go ahead a bottle IMO.
 
OP
chode720

chode720

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
527
Reaction score
4
Location
Cleveland
Use your hydrometer. If it says you are done fermenting, go ahead and bottle.
Already used the hydrometer to get the 1.011 reading :)

Thanks all for the info! I figured it was safe to bottle, just wanted to make sure first.....
 

SeamusMac

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2009
Messages
614
Reaction score
5
Location
Melbourne, Australia
A two month old hefe shouldn't turn bitter. You have something else going on if it was fine then turned bitter.
I'm dumbfounded as to what it could be. I used a FestaBrew kit and I had zero indications of infection; it bottle carbed just fine. I did bottle it in Corona bottles, perhaps the light go to it somehow and skunked it up. Although I can't detect any off-odours...
 

homebrewer_99

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
19,578
Reaction score
1,192
Location
I-80, Exit 27 (near the Quad Cities)
Already used the hydrometer to get the 1.011 reading :)

Thanks all for the info! I figured it was safe to bottle, just wanted to make sure first.....
It's done.

I always secondary my hWs for at least a couple of days. Reason? The extra time allows more yeast to fall out of suspension. When you see it starting to clear (it'll be darker at the top) is when I rack to the bottling bucket or keg.

Allowing more of the yeast to drop out puts less yeast into the bottle and into your glass.
 
Top