Hefeweizen fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JETDOG07

Reaction score
I made a 5 gallon batch of a Hefeweizen. I pitched 2 packs of Wyeast 3068 on 02/18/17 and have been fermenting at 62 degrees.

All of my reading has pointed to over pitching and cooler temps will produce good clove and a hint of banana, however I'm worried I won't get any banana.

After a week at 62 would ramping up the temperature a degree or so each day help to produce a bit of the estery flavor?

Thanks

You will get some banana flavor. It is just part of the way WY 3068 ferments a wort. I would bump the temperature to 66°F and hold there for good attenuation.

I'm allowing it to free rise now. Not letting my controller kick the refrigerator on. Currently at 64 and most of the blow off tube activity is done

3068 has gained my favor as the best Hefe yeast for my specific tastes. I run my ATC at 67F the duration and get a very mildly balanced banana and clove nuisance w/o being overstated.

I have never changed temps mid-fermentation like you propose to do, but I will be interested in the end result. My best guess is neither flavor will jump at you, but you'll end up with a nicely balanced Hefe to enjoy. I'd also think most of the flavor profile was created during the initial phase of fermentation, but changing temps now may make more difference than I predict.

My goal is a balanced one. I had the one made my Gordon birsch brewery and it was a banana/bubblegum bomb which I didn't enjoy. My thought on raising the temp a bit is to let the yeastonishing clean things up. But maybe they would do that at 62 degrees anyways?

i would just do it at 62-63 degrees and see what you think. then do the next one at 65-66 and see what you think. I personally prefer the taste of the lower temps, and it tastes more like the good german ones I remember from when I lived there.

after a week at 62-63, i take off the temp control and move the carboy into the house where it stays around 64-66, but it's typically reached final gravity by then. I'm just too lazy to bottle u ntil the weekend.

i would just do it at 62-63 degrees and see what you think. then do the next one at 65-66 and see what you think. I personally prefer the taste of the lower temps, and it tastes more like the good german ones I remember from when I lived there.

after a week at 62-63, i take off the temp control and move the carboy into the house where it stays around 64-66, but it's typically reached final gravity by then. I'm just too lazy to bottle u ntil the weekend.

I like this idea a lot. It's currently staying steady at 64 in the fridge without the fridge on. I think I'll just let it ride there.

Back