Hefeweizen advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickrjason

Reaction score
I am planning on doing an all wheat DME hefe batch soon. I have never done a hefe @ home so I have a question regarding bottling. Do I need to bother with a secondary or do I bottle right out of the primary?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Don't need to secondary, but need to rack on priming sugar in another bucket.

Not necessarily. If his primary has a spigot, as all three of mine do, he can add the sugar solution to the primary, give it a very gentle stir for 30 seconds or so, let it settle a few minutes, then bottle from there. I've done this and everything came out perfectly.

Rev.

I use glass carboys. I am splitting the batch doing 1/2 into bottles and racking the other half onto some blueberries for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

In that case, since you don't already have it in a bottling bucket/spigot as Rev 2010 states, then go with what heferly suggests and rack it onto priming sugar solution in a bottling bucket and go from there. Should go nice and smooth; just remember to keep the hose end submerged in the bottling bucket to reduce oxidation. If you do in the future primary in a bottling bucket, that's also fine; the reason I don't usually primary in a spigot bucket is because fruit flies (and other things) like to hang around or inside the spout and I get wondering about proper sanitation... I do wipe inside and out with StarSan, and it's not likely to be a real concern, but I figure what the heck, just rack to the inside/outside sanitized bottling bucket. On the other hand, as was once pointed out to me, when fruit flies etc ARE a problem, there's an even greater likelihood of them being a problem around an open bucket during racking and bottling... So, I've got no real reason to go with one over the other and as said I have in fact done both, even using a bottling bucking for the primary with a white wine I did once. Didn't hurt a thing and was less work and cleanup in the end. All a matter of choice.

Back