Hefeweisen Varieties?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiN8

Reaction score
Ok, trying to get a better understanding of the great Hefe!

I want to brew a Hefeweisen but there is a certain kind of hefe I like.

I have a local Brew Pub that has a DELIGHTFUL Hefeweisen; It is a light, a bit cloudy, and quite orange in color. It has quite a delightful orange crisp hint in it and is exactly what I'm looking for.

Then at my LHBS I was recommended to try a Paulaner Hefeweisen, which was darker, more brown in color, and had a more "spice" taste I guess you can say... and to be honest; NOT enjoyable.

So is there a specific way to determine the outcome/flavor profile of a Hefeweisen? or is there a kit that someone has tried from midwest or something that is similar to the Brew Pub variety I enjoy?

P.s. I am an extract brewer as of now.

This may be what you are looking for my LHBS calls it a light hefeweizen.

3lb Pilsen Dry Malt Extract
2lb Wheat Dry Malt Extract

Wyeats 3068 or 3638

1oz. Hallertau (60 min)
.5 oz Hallertau (10min)

5 oz. Priming sugar

OG= 1.046
FG=1.012
Alc=4.96%
IBU=16
Color=2

Ok,
Question.

I've e-mailed the brewpub which has the delicious "Hefeweisen" but the brewmaster is on vacation.

Why would a brewpub, call this a Hefeweisen if everyone is telling me other wise.

Here is a picture of the Mash House, Fayetteville NC.
Hefeweisen. Hope this helps
Mashhouse-Hefe.jpg

Ok, Question.

I've e-mailed the brewpub which has the delicious "Hefeweisen" but the brewmaster is on vacation.

Why would a brewpub, call this a Hefeweisen if everyone is telling me other wise.

It's called American marketing and advertising. Due to ignorance, Americans tend to name a product anything they want. Whether it's true or not is another matter. This is the United States...where you can spell your name as J-O-H-N-S-O-N and pronounce it S-M-I-T-H if you want.

Since you are in NC, I'm assuming around Ft Bragg (I did 3 tours there myself), there are a lot of soldiers who have done tours in Germany (9 years for me), the pubs are drawing on the customers experiences and desires to drink a true tasting Hefe Weizen,...OK, maybe not. The REAL job of a marketeer/advertiser and businesses is to seperate you from your money. Nothing else matters.

Since you stated it was crisp and cloudy implies that it's an unfiltered wheat beer of some sort. When you state that it tastes of orange, well, that's a Belgian Wit. Totally differrent country of origin and definitely not German, therefore, not a Hefe Weizen.

To keep it simple some general rules are:

A German Hefe Weizen is made with German Hops and German Hefe Weizen yeast.

A Belgian Wit uses a Belgian yeast strain with orange and coriander added.

Any other wheat beer in the US is simply a variation of an American Wheat.

There's not such thing as an "American Hefe Weizen" or an "American Wit". They are simply stating an English word followed by either a German or Belgian word. When using a language properly you would never hear of a "Deutsche Wheat Beer", "Amerikanischer Wheat", or a "Belgian White"...

Sorry, it's one of my peeves. I dislike advertisers who are constantly making up new non-words or cleverly mispelled words. Like "Hooked on Phonics". It may be a great learning tool, but if it truely was then why isn't it spelled "Hukt awn Fonix"? Not that I'd personally approve, but the continuity of the lesson is lost. Slang is fine, except for "whatever". Doesn't that just want to make you slap someone? Ebonics also comes to mind as the downfall of a civilization.

So.... has anyone looked at the picture yet to confirm this... Just because I am anal
I just want someone to say based on the picture I can confirm A) Hefe or B) Wheat

Its hard to tell with pictures. Really, a cloudy lighter colored beer could be 3 completely different types of beer (Hefeweizen, Witbier or American Wheat). From your description, I'd say you are looking for a Belgian Wit (like homebrewer 99 said) instead of a Hefeweizen. Have you ever tried Hoegaarden? If not, go buy a 6 pack (or a pint at a bar) and see if its what you are looking for. If so, its a Wit. If not, then I'd say its an unfiltered American Wheat.

Its hard to tell with pictures. Really, a cloudy lighter colored beer could be 3 completely different types of beer (Hefeweizen, Witbier or American Wheat). From your description, I'd say you are looking for a Belgian Wit (like homebrewer 99 said) instead of a Hefeweizen. Have you ever tried Hoegaarden? If not, go buy a 6 pack (or a pint at a bar) and see if its what you are looking for. If so, its a Wit. If not, then I'd say its an unfiltered American Wheat.

I enjoyed a Hoegaarden but it is not exactly what the Mash House's Hefe tastes like. It's more of a Shock Top but more orangy (if that's a word) so I guess my answer is an unfiltered American Wheat, maybe with some orange peels?

Back