Hefe Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojojones

Reaction score
So the first batch of Brown Ale is in bottles and A Belgian Blond is in the secondary, my roommates and I are interested in making a Hefeweizen, so I am looking for a recipe. I searched but most seem to be all grain and we are definitely not there yet. We extract brew and are looking for something reasonably light and refreshing as it is getting pretty warm her in So. Cal.

We are still working on maintaining out consistency in our process so something that may be a little more forgiving would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J.

Hefe can be simple. Wheat extract for about 1.050, ~12 IBU of hops and yeast. I like WLP-300. Most call for Hallertau. I've used just Briess Wheat DME, Sterling and Wyeast 3068 before and it was very good. Don't skimp on the yeast it is what makes a hefe.

Charlie Papazian says in his book that if you like paulaner weissbier then you'll love this one:
*5# Wheat DME or 6# Wheat LME
*1 oz Hallertau bittering hops @ 4.6%, boil 60 minutes
* WLP300 White Labs Hefe Weizen liquid yeast is what I used. Note that the experts say you don't want to overpitch yeast in a HW
* dry yeast alternative might be WB-06

Prepare for a mad & rapid fermentation. I hooked up a blowoff tube in a beer bottle with 2" of starsan solution; the beer bottle was in a pitcher to catch the overflow. Keep the fermentation room temp below 70 if you can.
Look to bottle this in 10 to 14 days.

That's a fast bottling time. I have been reading that there is no need to secondary a Hefe, is this correct?

J.

There is no need to secondary anything your going to bottle in less than two months. I'd wait for the kraeusen to fall before bottling. With WLP-300 that has usually taken me two weeks.

That's a fast bottling time. I have been reading that there is no need to secondary a Hefe, is this correct?

J.

Holycowman.

14 days in primary, 7 days in the bottle, this thing is ready to rock. I can't believe it but it's right there. I think it was close enough to Paulaner Weissbier. I'm so happy with it.

I boiled it 14 days before last Monday May 4 when I bottled it. I chilled a 12 oz'er @ 5pm tonight and cracked it open at 8-ish as one of a variety pack my buddy & I were sharing with each other. We both declared it a champ.

Mind you, neither one of us was freely handing out the praise. I love my Patersbier. He drank it but did not rave. He is proud of his Oberon, but I thought the yeast was cashed on it and ruined it and did not rave.

but this one raised his eyebrows and he parceled out faint praise, which you could tell...it met the standard. He is not a beer judge, but he's a longtime AG HB'er. and I'm not going to drink anything. I was after a certain Paulaner weissbier and it seems this recipe has got it. yes!

Keeping in mind, folks, that a Hefe is 50% wheat, by "law" so watch the extracts, that's all. Haven't met a good hefe I haven't liked yet.

Try the weizens offered my Midwest. I'm working on the honey weizen now and it's ready to bottle after 8 days. I'm going to let it sit another 5 or 6 though.

14 days in primary, 7 days in the bottle, this thing is ready to rock.

My last 2 batches turned out 10 days in primary, 3 days of force carb in keg, and drinking on the 14th day....

If i need beer for a party in 2 weeks, this is my goto!

Most beers are best if conditioned. this one is best once carbed.

Back