Hefe questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Liam-

Reaction score
I've been fermenting my Hefe for 2 weeks at 62F and I took a hydrometer reading just now. My OG was 1.051 and my reading tonight was 1.010. There was still a large bubbled, light froth/krausen on top. Will this dissipate? Should I take it out of the cooler and bring it up to room temp? Is two weeks generally enough time to ferment a Hefe? Also, when I tasted the hydrometer sample, it was good, but I seemed to get an initial very sweet kick which left as quick as it came. Is this something that will ease out as it mellows in bottles? It also seemed ever so slightly carbonated, which was weird.

After two weeks and with a gravity of 1.010 I would say your beer is finished. You could pull it out of the cooler and let it heat up to room temp for a few days, if the yeast do have more work to do that will speed them up, and at two weeks it won't affect the flavor. The flavors you describe will change and improve with conditioning, young beer never tastes quite right. Your beer is slightly carbonated from all of the co2 still dissolved in solution, that's totally normal.

Any thoughts on the foam that's still on top? It has big open bubbles, almost like a bubble bath.

Was your yeast WY3068? If it was the large bubbles in the remaining krausen is normal. Another week and the remaining krausen will drop with the sediment.

I have had a couple beers (especially those with wheat) have krausen that does not fall. I stuck the autosiphon right through and siphoned from below it. I think the longest was a little over 4 weeks with final gravity less than two weeks. I don't think it ever would have fallen.

Back