Hefe Low Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crzynate25

Reaction score
So I decided to Brew DubbleDach's Orange Honey Hefe - modified a little to suite me - and decided to go with Wyeast 3056 instead of WLP300 since I didn't have time to make a starter. Any way my real question is, since I keep my house so feakin cold my hefe is fermenting between 62 and 64. This was supposed to ferment around 68. Is fermenting this low going to effect my hefe too much - and should I let it sit in the primary longer then the 2 weeks I planned out. This is my first hefe and not really sure what to expect.

from what i understand, the HEFE yeast is quite temp sensative. you can get different flavors from different temps (clove-vanilla-bananna) all from the same yeast . i think yes on the extra primary, and maybe try to put it in a heated closet for a few days at the end of the primary.

Thanks blackwater, I have it in my upstairs tub which seems to be the warmest part of the house. We'll see if I can warm it up for the next couple of days and we'll see what happens.

As long as the yeast can finish ok it will be good - you just won't get a lot of banana/clove esters. Getting it warmer towards the end will help make sure the yeast attenuates, but I think it would be too late then to get the esters.

Back