Hefe Dunkel recipie ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrchicken

Reaction score
Guess I goofed my order but here is what I have for a Hefe.

3 lbs Wheat DME
2 Lbs Rahr White Wheat malt cracked
1 Lbs Weyerman Dark wheat malt cracked
2 Lbs Weyermann chocolate wheat malt cracked
1 oz hallertau hops
Danstar Munich dry wheat beer yeast.

Since I over ordered the chocolate malt, Will this still be tasty or will the chocolate overpower and clash with the bananna and clove?

Thanks !

I haven't used chocolate wheat malt, but if it's close to standard 2 Row chocolate malt then it will overpower. Checking online, it says to use 5% maximum, and you're well over that amount. For a dunkelweizen you'd want to sub dark munich in place of that chocolate. You'll probably want less dark wheat too.

Well poo. So, Should I get another lb of dark munich and leave the chocolate out completely?

The original recipe I was going from was ( I think)
3 Lbs wheat DME
2 Lbs Crystal Wheat ( substituted white wheat since they didn't have crystal)
1 Lbs Dark Munich wheat
1 Lb chocolate wheat

Thanks for the help !

I used .25 lb of chocolate wheat in a dunkelweizen once & I thought it turned out to be more like an over carbonated porter with hints of banana.
my dunkelweizen grist now is...
5 lbs red wheat
5 lbs Munich
2 oz midnight wheat for color
& that's it.
I've tried carawheat, caramunich, chocolate wheat, c-60... IMO all are inappropriate for this style. it should just be a maltier tasting, darker colored hefeweizen. i believe the Germans use sinimar food coloring for color, I prefer using specialty malts for color.

Guess I goofed my order but here is what I have for a Hefe.

3 lbs Wheat DME
2 Lbs Rahr White Wheat malt cracked
1 Lbs Weyerman Dark wheat malt cracked
2 Lbs Weyermann chocolate wheat malt cracked
1 oz hallertau hops
Danstar Munich dry wheat beer yeast.

Since I over ordered the chocolate malt, Will this still be tasty or will the chocolate overpower and clash with the bananna and clove?

Thanks !

Ok, This has been eating at the back of my mind..... I love chocolaty porters and I love wheat beers.... So Any idea if this would turn out to be a drinkable beer or a vat full of mud? Not so concerned about being true to a style. Just want something tasty.... ?? Will the wheat beer yeast be able to ferment this concoction? I really hate to waste the ingredients if it will suck. :)

It's a heck of a lot of chocolate malt in there and I can see the hefe yeast clashing to be honest. If it were me and I had that grist, i would make sure it was all well combined and then split it into 2 (or even 3) and use for two separate batches. Add in some more base malt or DME to make up the rest. You can try the hefe yeast, but something neutral like US05 might be your best bet. If you wanted to turn one of them into a porter, add in 10% or so of C80 and you're set.

Ok, Sorry for the rookie questions.
How about I run
3lbs Wheat DME
2lbs white wheat cracked
1lb Dark wheat cracked

1. Will that be enough malt to make a proper wort? (original recipe had 3 lbs dme and 4 or 5 lbs cracked wheat) will this be too watery with only 3 lbs cracked wheat ?
Thanks!!

My 5 gallon dunkelweizen recipe uses 4 oz pale chocolate malt with 6# wheat and 4# 2 row .. granted, I am talking chocolate barley malt and you are wanting to use chocolate wheat, so there will be some differences there. But I can't help but think that a pound is way over the top. The recipe I have also has 8 oz caramunich and 4 oz carafa special so there is some added color there. I find Munich to be a good yeast for dunkelweizen.

Ok, Think I am getting on track... So for a 5 gallon batch of hefe I need at least 6# of malt extract (liquid or dry) as the foundation and to create the wort.... THEN adding cracked grains are more of a flavoring agent as opposed to adding a lot of malt to create the "body" of the wort ??

So putting a LB of chocolate or munich dark would be too much "flavoring" and make a weird beer ? Am I headed in the right direction?

Now if I was doing a (mostly grain) recipe, or if I cut the amount of LME or DME, then I would need to make that up by using more cracked grain ?

Do i have the concept right?

In a way, but the amount of specialty malt you want to use varies depending on type of malt. Munich malt can be used up to 100% of grist whereas chocolate malt is very powerful, roasty, and acrid in larger quantities. A light touch is needed even in flavorful dark beers. With dunkelweizen being a delicate beer that's all about yeast and malt character, chocolate malt in any amount can be out of place.

I'm actually working on an all grain recipe in this ballpark, and purposefully aiming for a 'chocolate banana' type Dunkleweizen.

I had previously screwed up an Black IPA recipe where I used 1lb of Chocolate Malt, and the malts covered up the hops (despite it aiming to be over 100 IBU's) I learned two lessons after that. How dark grains affect and hide hop flavors, and that the 1lb of Chocolate Malt gave an excellent distinct chocolate taste.

So with that in mind, I'm aiming between 1lb to .75lbs in my Chocolate Banana recipe, but even as it is, its beyond SRM design, but I don't care so much.

I'm not sure how wheat vs. other choc. malts would vary it, but if you are going that high, I'd expect some distinct chocolate notes, to the point where it may completely overtake your beer. If you want subtle, you'll want to drop that down a lot. Maybe a few oz. to add some character.

good luck!!!

Back