Hefe after primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichSib

Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed up a 5 gal batch of extract Hefe Weizen.

6lb Muntons Wheat DME
12oz Muntons Extra Light DME
3AAU Hallertau hops @60 min

1L starter Wyeast 3068

O.G. 1.058

Boil 60 min.

It has been in the 6.5 gal primary merrily fermenting away for the last week at 62*F. The first two days of the fermentation were very vigorous with quite a bit of blow off. Fermentation has now slowed down and my questions are;
Do I rack to a secondary? My hops were in a bag so they're not in the primary but quite a bit of the break material is.
Do I need to maintain the low temp for the duration of the secondary phase? Ambient temp in my "brew room" is about 68*F.
Thanks as always for your insights.
Rich.

nope. leave it alone. there's really no need for a secondary for that beer. just wait another week or two and bottle (asuming gravity readings are stable)

I second FromZwolle - leave it be for another 7-10 days and bottle/keg it.

Temperature is less important at this point, although I wouldn't let it get out of hand. 68 degrees won't hurt it now IMO.

68 degrees won't hurt it now IMO.

68 degrees won't hurt it ever. I ferment most my Hefe's at 66-68F. I like the banana esters and even at these temps I find it very well balanced. At 62 it would be more balanced toward the clove type phenols.

Rev.

Back