Hefe accidental sour... recovery questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smarks2327

Reaction score
I had a hefeweizen that was became unintentionally infected (not positive how it happened, first of many many batches that I have ever had this issue with). However, it is not an unpleasant beer (it tastes a LOT like it was done intentionally, just a different style). To revive it more, I am thinking of pitching some tart cherry concentrate and aging it on Brett for 3-6 months. Does this sound like it would be worth the effort?

Is it sour or funky?

Pitching just brett isn't going to make it very sour. If it's already funky then you probably need to pitch souring bacteria or a combination of bacteria and brett. However, if it is already getting sour then just brett might be fine. I would probably pitch a blend either way just to make sure you get a good balance of sour and funk.

Dude, no kidding? I live in Cincinnati too and my Hefes have been turning out like **** lately! Last couple I did turned out sour and not at all within style. Honestly I am beginning to think it's our water here.

Friend of mine makes a lot of Hefe's and her last one was definitely infected (unintentionally). Some sour and light funk. I meant to culture a starter from the dregs but didn't get around to it and ended up drinking the one's she left over here. It was damn delicious. As long as you like how it tastes, I say culture up a starter from the dregs, or pitch the dregs into the wort of your next normal Hefe and let her rip.

Back