Hef Yeast Clarification/Confirmation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freisste

Reaction score
Couple questions regarding hefeweizen yeast. I think I understand it, but I want to confirm. If I am wrong with any of the following, please let me know.

1. It is possible to stress the yeast to give esters. The esters taste like banana. To stress the yeast, one could under pitch or ferment warm.

2. A Hef generally has a balance of esters (banana) and phenols (clove).

3. The yeast will always give a clove taste, but that taste can be completely overshadowed by esters, complimented by esters, or really shine if esters are minimized.

4. Flocculation is low, so hefeweizens are generally cloudy, but not muddy. There are more flocculant strains used to produce krystalweizens.

Again, the preceding is my understanding, so if I am wrong, feel free to correct anything. Also, I am interested in some anecdotal information, so if you have any experiences that aren't what usually get documented, I'm interested in hearing it. Thanks!

Yes, you are correct in all statements. IME, if you ferment at the lower end you will accent clove, higher end, banana. If you under pitch AND ferment at the higher end you will get a banana Bomb! At least that is my experience and I'm not a fan of that. I prefer the clove so I ferment using 3068 at about 62-64

Awesome, thanks. I was pretty sure I had it, but I figured if run it past the experts.

And thanks for the note regarding 3068. I actually plan on using that in my next brew, a weizenbock. It will also be my first decoction mash (necessary? Probably not). When you ferment at that temp, do you get any perceivable banana?

Thanks again!

Back