Heck Yeah! Just took SH2B gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weconway

Reaction score
My SH2B (Single Hop Best Bitter) ale has been in the primary for 3 weeks now, and I took a gravity reading tonight in preparation for kegging next week. This is my 4th batch, and while I'm happy with the previous three they all had some issues.

First off, after having 2 straight weak fermentations I hit the max attenuation for my 1968 London ESB yeast (71%)! The FG is exactly where it should be.

Even beyond that, the beer is beautiful!! Copper in color with very good clarity. My work to get a good hot break (gas burner) and cold break (wort chiller) seem to have paid off.

Finally, it tastes terrific!! Assertive but pleasant hop flavor, good balance between malty and bitter, nice fruity overtones. This is the beer I've been trying to brew since the beginning. There are few words to describe how happy I am right now!!

:ban:

Sounds delicious. :mug: Have you bottled yet or our tasting the fermented wort? Since you are close by I insist you save me a bottle or three. :tank:

Did you do anything to control fermentation temps? It may be that warmer ferm temps lend some nice yeasty fruit flavors?

I'm tasting the fermented wort. I'd planned on a 4 wk. primary stint, but after staring at it for 3 weeks I had to try it and take a gravity reading. Also so I have an excuse to use my new Fermtec Thief...fantastic piece of equipment that is WAY easier than siphoning a little sample.

I'm lucky that I have a place to store my fermenter that has been at exactly 66-68 degrees for the entire month. Thinking about it now, it isn't fruity...it is floral (from the hops). Still, there is a quality to the beer that was distinctly missing from my first three batches made with Nottingham dry yeast.

Back