Heavy sulfidic smell from fermenting wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Agrosen

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, so please redirect me, if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I currently have a wheat beer in my primary, and it has been there for about 10 days. Its giving of a heavy sulfidic smell, and I have no idea why.

Over the last couple of years I've been brewing a decent amount of all-grain beer, with drinkable results - more or less :), but I have never experienced this problem before. This is my first time brewing a wheat beer, so I just want to know, if there is anything wrong with the fermentation, or if this is a natural proces when brewing wheat beer?

My first plan was to give it 1 week in the primary and 1/1,5 in the secondary, but maybe I should let it sit for a couple more weeks, and hope the sulfidic gasses will "go" away.

I've attached a link, to my beercalc recipe, if that is any help:
https://beercalc.org/?t=147877

Mojzis

Reaction score
It happens with wheat beers, particularly because of the yeast strain. No need to worry.

It should dissipate soon enough.

skraeling

Scientist Extraordinaire
Reaction score
utterly normal. My poor ferm fridge smelled like a sewer during fermentation on the last hefe that I did. By the end of it though it really dissapated.

Latest posts