Heavy Seas Loose cannon IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oster99

Reaction score
Has anyone had this before? I tried it because I'm a fan of all things IPA...it is Awesome! I've never had anything like it. It's incredibly floral! I'm curious if anybody else has tried it and what their reaction was. I'd love to try to recreate the recipe but I'm not sure where to start.:mug:

By an incredible stroke of coincidence, I happen to be drinking this beer at this very moment. I got a "mix a six" of IPAs to try different kinds, and while I have tried most of them before, I never had them head to head. After Averys IPA, Boulder Brewing Co. Hazed and Infused, and Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot (to cleanse the pallette :) ) I have to say, the Loose Cannon is the maltiest of the IPAs I've had lately. The hop presence is still there in force, but the backbone of malt is keeping up well. However, I don't detect a lot of balance between the two. Avery might not be the hoppiest nor the maltiest of the IPAs I've had, but it achieved a balance I've not had very often, with perhaps the exception of DFH 60 min.

Overall, a fun beer, particularly when drinking nothing but IPAs, but not what I'd be stranded on a desert island with. DFH 60 still has that high honor, (though the 2008 Bigfoot Sierra Nevada is a nice second :) )

mike

Without a doubt the DFH 60 is one of the best!!! I saw a recipe for it on this forum somewhere...will be brewing it soon, hopefully! I have a 4-pack of DFH 90 min in the fridge right now. I have to go...it's calling for me!

I freakin' love Loose Cannon.

IIRC, the malt and hops used are listed on the Clipper City site. The Hop Cubed stands for the three times it's hopped: in the boil, through a hop-back, and dry-hopping. D-freakin'-licious.

MLynchLtd said:
Overall, a fun beer, particularly when drinking nothing but IPAs, but not what I'd be stranded on a desert island with. DFH 60 still has that high honor, (though the 2008 Bigfoot Sierra Nevada is a nice second :) )

mike

Bigfoot is a Barleywine.

Thanks for the tip Pseudochef! At least now I know the basic ingredients in the recipe. Does anybody know of a way to get from 3 lbs per barrel to about a 6.5 to 7 gallon boil?

I enjoy a lot of the Heavy Seas series particularly the Winter Storm and their Peg Leg Imperial Stout. However, for my personal taste the Loose Cannon was too malty. I like a real clean, crisp, hop forward IPA that doesn't bog my pallet down with Malt. Loose Cannon did not fill this void for me so I doubt I'll ever purchase it again.

Again, not saying it's a bad brew just not to my personal preference in IPA's.

The only negative thing I have to say is I didn't care for it. Well made beer, I like the Stone better. I will try other beers from that brewery when I encounter them.

Jekster said:
However, for my personal taste the Loose Cannon was too malty. I like a real clean, crisp, hop forward IPA that doesn't bog my pallet down with Malt. Loose Cannon did not fill this void for me so I doubt I'll ever purchase it again.

Again, not saying it's a bad brew just not to my personal preference in IPA's.

My impression was very similar. Not a bad IPA but just not to my pref.

PseudoChef said:
I freakin' love Loose Cannon.

IIRC, the malt and hops used are listed on the Clipper City site. The Hop Cubed stands for the three times it's hopped: in the boil, through a hop-back, and dry-hopping. D-freakin'-licious.

Bigfoot is a Barleywine.

O I know, I know :D

mike

Just found this at my local liquor store. it's currently chilling in the fridge for later consumption.

I look forward to the hoppy aroma I'm hearing about, but what worries me is that the "brewery fresh" date on the bottle is marked "Feb '10" so I'm wondering how much the hop flavor has faded out from a year of bottle conditioning.

as I was afraid of, there's not much hop aroma at all and just a little bit of a hoppy flavor. with a nicely malted backbone.

not bad at all, but i was hoping for more citrusness

Latest posts

Back