Heavy c02 build up after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakk Linton

Reaction score
I have a mead I started on 11/25 is is now 1/31 normally I've never had this problem till recently last 3 Batches have had abnormally high amounts of c02 build up in it. Almost like the hard lock is holding it in I put less water in and still have it done if anyone can help I'd be grateful. I know that there's usually some c02 but after bottling it creates a large head the Siphon is all the way at the bottom so I know it's not Aerating.

It sounds like you haven't degassed enough. Have you tried degassing lightly before trying to bottle?

Most of the time I don't usually degass cause not that much build up so usually bottle an age but recently yes I started to. Cause of just how much is being built up. I've just never had to happen to this extent do you know of any factors that may cause this to happen more?

Think about the 3 batches you last made. What was different about them? Different yeast? Different kind of water? Temperature controlled environment...or not? pH levels change with ingredients, too. All of these things should be considered.
Some ingredients have a much more active ferment than others. Pineapple, for example, (in MY experience), is one such ingredient.
This was a VERY active ferment...it blew the bung right out of the fermenter & on to the floor. ( My pineapple mead less than 24 hrs in )
Resized_20200904_071349_7763.jpeg

Pineapple? This latest one was an apple mead soo maybe it's the apple. as for changes it happened with to different yeasts, I did stop using yeast nutrients that is a changed I did. But nothing really else. How did that pineapple turn out? Sorry I like ideas lol

colder water will take co2 easier....
Thanks that actually makes more sense now that room stays pretty cold. That might be what I needed to know. Now if you excuse me ima do a pineapple mead lol jk but maybe someday

Back