heating kettle vs pouring hot water into kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinm001

Reaction score
I'm building a homebrew station in my basement and am planning on running electric using a controller and water heater element.

Would it be better to use something like a keg and heating the water to a specific temp, then pouring hot water into a kettle below?

Or should i make the elements in the kettle and heat it with the grains?

I'm thinking the element would burn the grains and ruin the element pretty quickly, even with low density ones.

But pouring hot water into the grains would heat the grains rapidly (bad?). the water would need to be about 20 degrees hotter than wanted as the cool grains would cool the water. and the kettle would need to be insulated and covered to keep temps pretty consistent.

can you build a false bottom in the kettle, seal it with mineral oil and weld it ... then it'll heat the bottom surface evenly.
: )

my vote is no to using water heater element directly on the grain.

Alternatively, get a big enough kettle to do eBIAB and stop you bag shy of the element. Of course, recirculation would be ideal but as long as you are stirring while heating you should be fine.

That said, why in your mind are you heating after mash-in? Step mashes? Mash-out temp?

I must of been reading too much. If im doing all grains and have a HLT, MLT and boil kettle, why do i need to heat the MLT?

I heat in my BK (Electric BoilCoil) then transfer to my MLT via pump. I transfer around 170s to help zero out the thermal mass, then dough in at the appropriate temp. No need to have the elements in the MLT. My HLT is just a 10 gal rubbermaid cooler that I transfer heated water from the BK to so I can fly sparge. A one element vessel can def get the job done.

Could I use a keg with a heater element for a boil kettle without cutting the top off? If I have a heater element and a drain at the bottom, but want to leave the top with the normal 3" opening.

Could I use a keg with a heater element for a boil kettle without cutting the top off? If I have a heater element and a drain at the bottom, but want to leave the top with the normal 3" opening.

Not easily...for boiling. You need the open for driving off DMS and you would have a heck of a time getting it clean through the 3" opening.

Now as a Hot Liquor Tank where you just heat water, this would be fine except I am not sure how you would install the element.

I have a pair of kegs with elements, temp sensors, and drains that i use for another hobby that very similar. I don't want to spend a ton more on additional equipment if not needed. We welded bungs to the outside of the kegs then able to screw elements and other options into the kegs, works great.

I'm new to this hobby and looking to build a consistent system to use when working on recipes. I plan to automate many aspects to help achieve this goal.

In the boiling pot, isn't it just the liquid from the grains and hops? if i can put the hops in a long skinny bag (think sock) tied to the opening, wouldn't this help? how dirty do boil kettles get? I usually use a few carboy scrubbers and some star san with a lot of rinsing. not a huge issue but i could be wrong.

I have a couple kegs with temp sensors, water heater elements, and drains i use for another very similar hobby. I'm trying to use this equipment for homebrew and not needing to get a bunch more equipment if not needed. I usually clean the kegs with a few carboy scrubbers and some star san, with a lot of rinsing and works great.

Isn't the boil kettle just wort and hops? Could i use a long skinny bag (think long sock) for the hops to put in the top opening and tie around the top, let it boil then remove the bag of hops, leaving the liquid? this should be much easier to clean up and eliminate scorching right?

I'm new to this hobby and could be completely wrong.

Back