Heating Element Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PunkVaulter

Reaction score
I've been searching this for a while with no luck.

What type of metal is a heating element typically made out of? I've been thinking about switching to an electric HLT for simplicity reasons, but my concern is having some bogus metal touching my junk. Is there any possibility of bad stuff (scientific term) getting into the water? I know we use them to heat water in our homes, but I don't drink my hot water from the tap.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've been searching this for a while with no luck. What type of metal is a heating element typically made out of?

You should get better acquainted with Google. :D

Stainless, copper, nickel (e.g., Sandhog), etc.

my concern is having some bogus metal touching my junk.

I see your concern - hot metal could be deleterious to your "junk." Any one of the above listed metals are very reliable in acidic wort.

You should get better acquainted with Google. :D

Stainless, copper, nickel (e.g., Sandhog), etc.

I see your concern - hot metal could be deleterious to your "junk." Any one of the above listed metals are very reliable in acidic wort.

Haha, I thought I was pretty good friends with Google, guess I better take her out for a few more drinks.

Thanks for the help!

Remember, these things are PROPERLY used in water heaters. I'd think they're pretty safe for heating wort. :)

Latest posts

Back