Heating element internal ground

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burdbrew

Reaction score
All,

I may need an education. I took the nut off of my heating element to look inside. In my picture, I show where what appears to be the ground and where it appears to seat when the element is assembled.

I can't get my brain around the idea that the ground itself isn't somehow permanently attached. The ground screw can't seat to the base when screwed together can it? I think I broke this.
Element picture.jpg
I plead ignorance. I'm probably confused.

Where'd you get that?

Ground wire needs to be connected in a hard, reliable way. Like a screw or similar. I'm not sure what your arrow is pointing to, but it doesn't look like a reliable ground connection to the pot to me.

I assume the bottom of the lug you're pointing to was connected at one time, but it doesn't look like a very strong mechanical connection and now it's broken off from the plate . I know those aren't cheap, call the vendor, maybe still in warranty?

I've taken mine apart before to inspect. That is definitely broke.

Without a ground, the GFCI protection that makes electric brewing relatively safe will no long offer any protection. It must be tossed and replaced.

Where'd you get that?

Ground wire needs to be connected in a hard, reliable way. Like a screw or similar. I'm not sure what your arrow is pointing to, but it doesn't look like a reliable ground connection to the pot to me.

I got it from a very reputable, beloved on this forum source. I have used it for 18 months. Not the vendor's issue, clearly mine. Intuition tells me I need a hard mechanical connection, that's why I asked. Upon further review, I can tell that the ground prong can move in and out of the housing even with that screw attached, that's what threw me for loop. I clearly broke the connection. When I disconnected, I should have been more careful.

On to my next element. As always, I get solid wisdom when I ask questions on HBT. Thank you.

Without a ground, the GFCI protection that makes electric brewing relatively safe will no long offer any protection. It must be tossed and replaced.
or just soldered back together... If you have the option to send it back I would.

Don’t mean to derail, but GFCI is not dependent on a ground and is permitted by NEC in a system without a ground. Obviously the ground is important in its own right so the element should be repaired/replaced.

It will protect you in case the ground doesn't.

and not to derail further but this isn't totally correct. an installation without a gfci can be properly grounded/bonded per code and still not provide adequate protection against low-level ground faults. by 'low-level' i mean faults that are of enough magnitude to cause personal problems (e.g. muscle seizure) but not enough to trip the upstream protective device in any reasonable amount of time. gfcis provide protection against these low-level faults.

there was a thread on this a while back, someone arguing that with proper grounding, gfcis are not required and therefore, an unnecessary expense. this is dangerous thinking.

I'm a tv electrician. Therefore I don't know Jack. I'll sit this one out.
One day when I grow up, I might go electric, so I'm grateful for this education on HBT.

Latest posts

Back