Heating element coating came off after soaking in water. Defect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarunt1

Reaction score
These heater elements were brand new. I soaked them in water for a couple days to do the initial leak test for my heat sticks. I noticed the water became cloudy then I pulled them out and they had all kinds of black specs on them. On closer inspection it appears the coating is coming off. Are these defective? I only soaked them in water and didn't even heat them up. Should I still use them?

They're model SG2167L. I got them from Zoro, they also sell them at Grainger and they're a "Grainger choice". I've seen them recommended for homebrewing before so I figured they'd be good quality.

HeatSticks.jpg

Looks like the typical zinc-variant coated copper element, ya? I had a similar thing and soaked mine in star-san overnight after a recommendation from another HBTer and they came out the base copper. Much easier to clean to boot.

GTcP9mR.jpg

Looks like the typical zinc-variant coated copper element, ya? I had a similar thing and soaked mine in star-san overnight after a recommendation from another HBTer and they came out the base copper. Much easier to clean to boot.

Yes it is zinc coated copper according to the documentation. I'll soak it in star san tonight and report back the results. Thanks for the help!

I had this happen and I'm wondering if the batch is still safe to drink or is it a total loss?

Back