Heating and cooling in a keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwood1377

Reaction score
So my keezer is in my unheated garage right now and I've got a thermometer hanging in it which is reading around 30 degrees F. I've come to realize that my temp controller will never kick on because of how cold it is, so I went ahead and bought this http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWERS-EDGE-SPACE-HEATER-P518C100.aspx So my question is that with the heater do I leave it plugged in all the time and set my A419 controller to cool down the freezer. I would only really need this in the winter time and when it gets warmer out I could just unplug the heater and use the freezer with the temp controller as normal. Thanks for the replies.

Unplug the freezer from the temp controller, and plug the heater in it's place. Then set the controller to heat mode. When the ambient temps start getting above your desired ferm temp, hook the freezer back up and switch it to cool mode.

The only thing with that is that I don't want to have to keep unplugging and plugging stuff back in. I figured if I could just use the heater in the winter and the freezer in the summer then I would be good to go.

If you don't want to switch the plugs twice a year, then you might consider a dual stage controller. If you can do basic wiring, the STC-1000 is only ~$18.

Oops my bad. I didn't realize that you meant to keep the heater hooked up till it got warmer weather wise then hook it back to the freezer to keep cool in the summer. That's originally what I wanted to do but wanted to check. I misunderstood your last post. Thanks, I think ypu answered my question. Cheers!
One other question. If I leave the heater hooked up to the temp controller should I completely unplug the freezer or leave it plugged in (to a separate outlet) and set at its lowest setting. Thanks again.

I'm a newbee to all of this. I live in Nw Florida. I'm having an issue wrapping my head around these temp controllers that have a heat setting. Wouldn't I always want me keezer to be on cold mode?

I'm a newbee to all of this. I live in Nw Florida. I'm having an issue wrapping my head around these temp controllers that have a heat setting. Wouldn't I always want me keezer to be on cold mode?

Well, yeah - because you live where the ambient is almost always warmer than what you'd want to run yeast at.

It ain't rocket science...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back