Heat Stick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanelsn

Reaction score
I'm about to build a heat stick and I've found a few different guides to do so. I'm wondering about the ground wire on them. In some of the guides they screw into the plastic of the element and some of them drill a hole in the pipe and hook it up there. What is the general consensus on what should be done there and is one way safer?

I disagree with the price point but he does have a video where he connects his to the tube so that's the route I'll take.

I drilled and tapped the flange on the base of the water heater element, and screwed the ground wire down there. Since it's in an area that is all covered with food safe RTV silicone anyway, it avoided adding another leak point to seal.

Buy a hotrod from brewhardware.com. It's about $10 more expensive than the diy route and infinitely better.

^^^ This. I've heard time and again from people who built their own only to find the Hot Rod after the fact. Regret always ensues, along with a statement that the price is not that different between the two options.

Back