Heat source for fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eryk4381

Reaction score
I have a converted fridge that keeps fermentation temps with a STC-1000 and I was originally using an infrared or lizard cage bulb as part of the heating source for accurate temperature. I have now burnt out two of them and was wondering, even though the heat coming of of them is lower, would regular light bulbs do the trick without messing with the beer as far as the type of light goes?
I can go get another heat lamp bulb they are just getting expensive.
Anyone else have problems like this?

Appliance bulb in a paint can.

Photo%2BFeb%2B12%2C%2B10%2B13%2B33%2BAM.jpg

I have my fermenting bucket in a small tote that fit in the fridge filled with water, and I have an aquarium heater in it, works great! I did add a small aquarium pump from amazon about for 8 dollars to circulate the water and keep the heat even.

The probe from the stc1000 is just submerged in the bucket of water and haven't had any issues

Works great I bought mine from here.
http://www.reptilebasics.com/heat-tape

Add the wire set and select to have them crimp it. Same thing as a fermwrap except because it's not made "for beer" it's missing the markup.

NICE!!! So are you mounting it on the vessel itself when you put it in or mounting it inside your fermentation fridge to the side of the wall?

NICE!!! So are you mounting it on the vessel itself when you put it in or mounting it inside your fermentation fridge to the side of the wall?

+1000 for the reptile heat tape from reptile basics. It is amazing, and is the same stuff that some homebrew sites sell as "fermwrap" for a whole lot more.

I have about 2' of it inside a mini fridge and then 6' inside of a chest freezer that I use to keep things at like 95 degrees.

I just use gorilla tape to mount it to the inside of my ferm chamber.

+1000 for the reptile heat tape from reptile basics. It is amazing, and is the same stuff that some homebrew sites sell as "fermwrap" for a whole lot more.

I have about 2' of it inside a mini fridge and then 6' inside of a chest freezer that I use to keep things at like 95 degrees.

I just use gorilla tape to mount it to the inside of my ferm chamber.

Thank you very much!

I've done both. In the fridge, no need to wrap the vessel. Out of the fridge, wrap the vessel. I use a little bit of insulation to help keep ambient temp, or temp from the heat, off the probe. I lagered a doppelbock in my garage for a couple of months with this over the winter. I live in MN and even well below zero it held 32F easily. The whole setup was in a cooler that only sees summertime use.

So just use the wires for my normal light base and plug into the heat tape? It looks like its needs a step down or converter of some sort.

If you are referring to the flex watt material it is full 120 volt or 220 volt depending on which one you order. I plug mine directly into my fermostat controller which has heat cycle time settings. You can use with a dimmer switch if you don't have a controller. I'm not familiar with stc-1000 or its settings. But as for the wire connections I would order the clips they are cheap and just crimp over the metal band and the plastic insulators for the clips are nice to have so you dont get curly hair. I'm sure you could cobble something together with your lamp wire or even solder it if you are really careful.

I like this but I cant seem to find it on your blog. What kind of bulb are you using?

It's not on the blog yet. I bought all the items from Home Depot. The cord is a computer power cable that I had.

1-qt metal paint bucket and lid - $2.97
Bottom turn knob socket - $3.28
60 watt appliance bulb - 2 pack - $3.87

Another option are the seed heating mats. About 20W, and waterproof. Mine will hold a 7g bucket at 10-15 degs above ambient when held to the bucket with bungee cords and left in the open in the basement, and will do much better in a mini-fridge fermentation chamber.

Appliance bulb in a paint can.

Photo%2BFeb%2B12%2C%2B10%2B13%2B33%2BAM.jpg

You should consider a grommet or cord grip to help keep the can from rubbing through and shorting the cord.

Outsides of that, I've been using one of the ceramic bulb heaters in my ferm chamber for a couple years. But now that i've made the switch to Chronicals and am also upgrading my kegerator to a keezer, I'm thinking heat tape may be a better option. Thanks!

Back