Heat/How much does it cost you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
How much does it cost to heat your house and where do you live?
I just paid 2.59 a gallon COD (oil) Up .30 a gallon from the fall. Yet the price per gallon is down since then.They call it "supply and demand BS".How are things where you live?

My monthly natural gas bill ranges from about $25 to $120 per month throughout the year. The furnace is the big driver there, so the winter months bring higher bills.

I got a permit from the Forest Service for 9 cords of wood for $20. Between the permit and the truck gas and chainsaw stuff, id say I am spending about $15/month on heating.

I just paid $2.79/g for our heating fuel. Costs me on average $80/m in the winter, with a highest bill of $200 when gas was closer to $5/g and temps were near 0 for 3 weeks straight. We pretty much turn the heat off from May-Aug. I am in south central AK and have a sub 800 sg ft home.

My natural gas bill runs about $60 in the winter and I have a pellet stove that cost $215 per ton of pellets. Usually burn a ton per year. From the Pacific NW....

My natural gas bill runs about $60 in the winter and I have a pellet stove that cost $215 per ton of pellets. Usually burn a ton per year. From the Pacific NW....

How do you like that pellet stove? I have been trying to decide between adding one in our place, or ditching my toyo stove for a forced air furnace.

Using natural gas & a forced air furnace, it averages out to about $90/mo. during the colder months.
Regards, GF.

I like the pellet stove it's pretty effective and much cleaner then packing wood into the house. It has a thermostat so it work like a furnace. Set it and forget it until you run out of pellets. I wouldn't much care to have a pellet stove as my only heat source though. It doesn't move air around as well as a forced air furnace does.

Like Falcon3, we heat strictly with wood but I cut it here on my place. We go through 3 to 5 cords a year. If we had to buy it the going rate here is about $250 a cord. Cutting my own is a lot less (gas, oil, the occasional new chain or spark plug) but also way more time & effort. I'd guess something like 10 or 15 hours a cord to cut, haul, split and stack.

Propane stove about 2.29 a gallon/100 gallon tank. lasts months depending on how cold the winter is. Way cheaper then the Damn baseboards my wife feels the need to turn on haha.

Pellets. 2 1100 sq floors. Runs about $1200-1400/year.

I was using infrared space heaters to supplement for a couple years, but it melted one of my outlets the other day, plus I hooked a kill-a-watt up to it and decided the localized heat wasn't worth $5/day.

I just filled the oil tank. well filled isn't the right word. I got less than 3/4 tank for $500. That is gonna have to last 3 years, hopefully the global warming comes back next winter.

I've gone through the house with a infrared thermometer finding cold spots. I've done some worthwhile touch up on the crappy insulation job the builders did. Couple cold spots to go.

I think I would live to migrate further towards the equator. I keep checking random 5-day forecasts and I must admit that I am not only jealous of the warmer temps, but also the amount of sunny days forecast in other areas.

Heating with electric base-boards up here, least effective way of heating as far as I'm concerned but I doubt my landlords would be fond of me dragging a proper stove in here. This month cost me ~$150CAD in power, probably about 80% of which is to keep this place from being at lagering temps.

I heat a 3 bedroom house with propane. It costs me anywhere from 800-1200 for a full fill-up, and I usually go through 2.5-3 per year.

I should take a lesson from one of my tenants in a rental property. She swore the furnace was making her gas bill too high, and started turning on the oven(gas) to warm up the apartment. She was convinced she had found a way to heat the place for free. :confused:

I heat a 3 bedroom house with propane. It costs me anywhere from 800-1200 for a full fill-up, and I usually go through 2.5-3 per year.

I should take a lesson from one of my tenants in a rental property. She swore the furnace was making her gas bill too high, and started turning on the oven(gas) to warm up the apartment. She was convinced she had found a way to heat the place for free. :confused:

Haha nice. My wife does open up the oven after cooking and let's the heat dissipate into the house but nowhere near that. But you have given me a good sign to look for.

How much does it cost to heat your house and where do you live?
I just paid 2.59 a gallon COD (oil) Up .30 a gallon from the fall. Yet the price per gallon is down since then.They call it "supply and demand BS".How are things where you live?

It's pretty cheap here. I got the house up to 80F today just by opening the windows.

(now, the electricity bill does go up quite a bit come July :( )

Back