Health benefits of water kefir vs fermented with champagne yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
So most water kefir recipes are fermenting water and a small amount of sugar (1/4 cup) with "water kefir grains", then giving a 2nd ferment with some fruit. A lot of sites advertise this as a healthy gut drink.

Does anyone know if there is anything special about the water kefir grains, or would the same exact benefits be from doing the same thing but with an ale or champagne yeast?

Water kefir are lactobacillus, the same as yogurt. They are probiotic.

Ale/champagne yeast creates ethanol and are not probiotic.

A little late but here is an answer. It's similar to kombucha. Both are a SCOBY. Water kefir is bottom fermenting and lacks the acetic acid profile. The SCOBY is referred to as "grains" Some grains will float(trapped gas?) There is both yeast and bacteria in the grains. The are tons of variables and you constantly question the "balance" of the grains. You need to keep a pretty strict schedule of preparing sugar water every other day. You also bottle every other day.

It's fun and restarted my homebrew brain. I haven't brewed in years. I get to try new flavors every few days. I have a steady pipeline of outstanding a fruited beverage. It reminds me of sour beer when I use fruit juices. You constantly question if there is alcohol in it as well... certain effects in your first few sips, hard to explain.

Yeemos is where I got my grains from.

Back