Health Alert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A person who flies in airplanes has a 100% higher chance of dying in an airplane crash than those who never fly. Yet people still fly...

Man, I sure ain't going to go out and get those jeans they're talking about.

How does denim increase your cancer risk by 700% anyhow?

A lot of beer drinkers I have known in my life have come and gone. Not one I ever knew had died of this malady.

I read that off msnbc this morning. More scare tactics,since they can't prove the correlation. Their research just suggested it. Maybe the wine & liquor guys are doing what the pork industry did a long time ago.?...Not to mention,they said dyecitles were dangerous,leading to this malady. They never mentioned that it's something we work to avoid.

I am concerned about this! Don't worry though. I will take one for the team. I will use myself as a guinea pig and drink 1-2 beers every night to see if I develope stomache cancer. If I die by any other means then you know this is BS. Until then please send me all your homebrews so I can start my test. Just a fyi... this could take some time, if you don't hear from me just assume I need more beer... you know... for the test

I like that the alcohol in by beer, but not in wine or liquor is what causes this. How is the same chemical all of a sudden different if the sugar comes from grape, grain or..wait, grain...?

Heavy beer drinkers have an increased risk of gastric cancer, especially if they possess a certain gene variant, a new study suggests.

By "Heavy beer drinkers" do they mean "fat people who drink beer," "people who drink heavy beers," or "people who drink a lot of beer?":drunk:

Study was probably sponsored by the wine industry or some other bs group....

P.s. I should be OK for this anyways, all my beers usually finish out 1.010 or lower..far from heavy :D

I'm a pharmacist and beer enthusiast. I can tell you all that I have read many studies regarding the health benefits of alcohol consumption. Every article leans towards 1-2 drinks per day for men and 1 drink per day for women having very beneficial cardiovascular and cerebrovascular effects (good for heart and brain). That's the trick though, any more than that and it is detrimental over time. So I self medicate with 1-2 beers per day and will live longer than those who don't, maybe. If not I'll sure be happier.

Its pretty likely that cancer is gonna get me some way or another and if I get it drinking a few tasty pints a night im gonna say its worth it plus who wants to live to 8O. Your chances of being in a nursing home or living with your kids is pretty high so again i take the early death by beer!

The findings are correlated, meaning there is a link between beer drinking and gastric cancer risk, but the results can't speak to whether one caused the other or some other factor is responsible.

So maybe gastric cancer is causing heavy beer drinking?

By "Heavy beer drinkers" do they mean "fat people who drink beer," "people who drink heavy beers," or "people who drink a lot of beer?":drunk:

Well I'm screwed. I'm fat and drink a lot of heavy beer. :cross:

I'll take my chances, thank you! :D

Total bunk and bad science. I'm gonna drink extra beer tonight. Cancer schmancer. There's a greater chance I will be eaten by a lion in my home office than forming stomach cancer from drinking beer.

buffalo-lion-1.jpg

Awesome! I think in order for this 'science' to work out, you must fall into all three of your categories. A fat person who drinks a lot of heavy beer.

Total bunk and bad science. I'm gonna drink extra beer tonight. Cancer schmancer. There's a greater chance I will be eaten by a lion in my home office than forming stomach cancer from drinking beer.

The science itself appears to be sound, but the media's interpretation of the study is incomplete (big surprise!) Almost all of the study participants were also infected with the bacteria that is linked to developing ulcers, H. pylori. This infection is not common in the US, so it's unlikely that the results of this study, particularly the high risk ratios, are applicable to an American population.

Why there is an interaction between infection, that genetic polymorphism, and beer consumption that increases gastric cancer risk is probably an interesting area of study. Maybe those bacteria like beer as much as we do, and grow better when they're fed beer.

The lifetime risk of male smokers for lung cancer is 17.2 percent, it's 11.6 percent for female smokers...but the risk of gastric cancer for regular beer drinkers (between 35 and 70 years of age) is 75 percent? I call Bulls**t. This means that 3/4 of people who drink 2-3 beers per night on average get gastric cancer but less than 1/5 of smokers get lung cancer in their lifetime...there's just no way. If such a remarkable correlation did exist, chances are we'd already know; beer's been around for a little while now.

When researchers see numbers like that they should use common sense and look for the flaws in their research design. Which is the same thing medical reporters should be doing, of course they only care about having something sensationalistic to print.

The science itself appears to be sound, but the media's interpretation of the study is incomplete (big surprise!) Almost all of the study participants were also infected with the bacteria that is linked to developing ulcers, H. pylori. This infection is not common in the US, so it's unlikely that the results of this study, particularly the high risk ratios, are applicable to an American population.

Why there is an interaction between infection, that genetic polymorphism, and beer consumption that increases gastric cancer risk is probably an interesting area of study. Maybe those bacteria like beer as much as we do, and grow better when they're fed beer.

everyone has that bacteria and it is stress that lowers your immune system and allows it to fluorish.

modern science says everything is genetic problem when they are actually caused by diet -vitamin and trace mineral deficiency.

i'd be wiling to bet IF there is truley a link between beer and gastric cancer is has more to do with the ingredients in commercial beer (we know they weren't using unpasturized homebrew in this study) or something akin to the effects of white processed flour and sugar on your body.

*pokes Revvy with a stick* how did the Egyptians - men, women AND children - drink beer for breakfast, lunch and dinner and cancer is unkown in the ancient world? HOMEBREW is good for you!!:mug:

Oh Jesus I can't stand these BS "scientific" health reports! And the odd thing is I personally am far more of the scientific mindset. Certain things just cannot be put down into statistical forms. For example:

When I worked at my last law firm we had a few young healthy people suddenly die. One instance was a woman that worked out *EVERY* day, was slim, ate healthy etc. She had a kid, then a second. After the second she came back to the firm and one day at the gym she just collapsed and went into a coma. She had an aneurysm or embolism in the brain, can't recall, and died a week or two later.

My best friend from my youth had a brain vessel pop and died at 20 years old.

People who have never smoked in their whole lives can and do still get lung cancer

Jim Fixx, the famous jogger and author of "The Complete Book of Running" died of a heart attack at 52 after jogging.

Yet in all this... my uncle has been a hard core alcoholic, smoker, and drug addict for over 20 years. On top of that, when he's maintaining a job it's as a carpenter in the Formica industry. I worked with him for a few months and I'll tell you it's nothing but breathing in glue fumes, lacquer thinner fumes, and saw dust all day long. And he drank and smoked while working - fire hazard!

That SOB is still alive and kicking perfectly fine, well so far as we know.

Point is, you can eat healthy, exercise, and do everything "right" all your life and die before the obese smoker/drinker so F it. As long as you don't go crazy and try to keep things somewhat in moderation that's good enough in my eyes. I want to enjoy myself while I'm here so I'll drink my beers after work and have 1 cigar a day. If it kills me so be it. At least I'll have enjoyed myself and know I didn't go way irresponsibly out of hand.

Rev.

My brother-in-law has stage 4 colon cancer. He used to drink at least a 6 pack a day. Don't know if happened cause he's an alcoholic, miller lite is bad for you or none of the above. I won't stop brewing and drinking it.

Did you find it published somewhere? I looked for a second and lost interest, but I'm curious to read it.

The relationship between H. pylori and gastric cancer doesn't sound dubious at all, but I'm definitely curious how beer drinking comes into play.

I thought 100% was a guarantee that something is going to happen, so does 700% mean it WILL happen 7 times? How can you have more than a 100% chance of something anyway?

Dude, that is because 82.8% die from heart disease before they can get lung cancer.

^^^ He's right here. My stepfather smoked non-filtered Lucky Strikes for 41 years (since he was 12) and eventually needed a quintuple bypass. The surgery went fine but he died almost two weeks later from a blood clot that moved to his lungs and suffocated him - was in the hospital too at the time cause just prior he was coughing up fluid so they readmitted him.

Before the heart surgery they told him his lungs were like swiss cheese and he would need them operated on as well but the heart issue was critical so it would come first.

Rev.

Until they prove the correlation I am not going to worry about it and even then I have a lot better chance of dieing of something other than drinking beer.

Read #1 and skipped here so sry. Getting a visectamy(? spelling) increses your chance of prostate cancer by 75% but men have that surgery done every day with no cancer. So i personally will not worry about this newest "risk of cancer" IT ALL CAUSES CANCER.

This is BS they come up with new bad stuff that can kill you every week. One time i was watching the news and they said eating to many eggs could increase your risk of some crazy disease. Don't remember witch disease cause didn't really care and its BS. My dad and grandpa drink 4-6 beers every night sometimes more and there healthy as a horse. My grandpa has been drinking beer since i can remember and he dosen't take any blood pressure pills or no medication and hes 75 years old. Beer will increase the chance that you go home with an ugly woman or guy (for the ladys) but cancer sorry don't beleave it for a min.

Dude, that is because 82.8% die from heart disease before they can get lung cancer.

Um, all I'm saying is that 3/4 is a huge percentage compared to the less than 1/5 of smokers who get lung cancer (particularly given the direct, well established, causal link between smoking and lung cancer). Since the article is about cancer prevalence I was commenting on cancer prevalence.

It's true that more smokers die of heart disease than lung cancer (and that smoking is a huge risk factor for heart disease), and it follows that the lung cancer rate of smokers would be higher if heart disease wasn't a factor. But since the average onset of lung cancer is about sixty, and the vast majority (78 percent in 2006) of heart disease deaths occur after the age of seventy-five, your statement that 82.8 percent of smokers die from heart disease before they can get lung cancer is an oversimplification. Especially since there is a high prevalence of heart disease in general including among beer drinkers.

Obviously there are a lot of risk factors (involving an extremely complex set of variables) for both heart disease and cancer. That's beyond the scope of my original post.

My grandfather was a heavy alcoholic drinking more than 1 beer per night and during the Vietnam War drank a lot and even drank for a while after the war. Drawing this to a conclusion he is still alive and has not had gastric cancer or any liver problems that I know of. This is just BS probably trying to scare kids not to drink which drinking isn't bad unless you drink a lot! Stupid news.

Think of the number of people you have heard of having stomach cancer. Now compare that to the number of people you have heard of drinking beer on a regular basis.

Yeah. I'm off to grab a beer...

I thought 100% was a guarantee that something is going to happen, so does 700% mean it WILL happen 7 times? How can you have more than a 100% chance of something anyway?

hahaha, that would suck! But alas, that 700% means you're 8 times more likely to be affected. If the normal likelihood is 1 in 100, and the new rate is 700% higher, that means 8 in 100. I know it sounds weird that 700 equates to 8 times, but "100% more likely" means "twice as likely", so 100% = twice as likely. 200% = thrice as likely. Etc.

Latest posts

Back