Heady Topper - UGLY!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippyclown

Reaction score
First off I want to say that I love Heady Topper. Truly one of the best beers I've had. Not as exciting as when man first walked on the moon but really it's a fantastic beer. But CHRIST it's an ugly beer if you don't drink it right away.

Ok so it says right there front and center on the can... "DRINK FROM THE CAN!"

photo_5.jpg

When I got the beer fresh there was little sediment. However this can is about 2 months old and holy crap I can see why they say DRINK FROM THE CAN!

photo_4.jpg

I was shocked. Covering all my bases I asked my wife if our 2 year old by chance vomited in my beer while I was in the bathroom. She confirmed that my daughter did not vomit in my Heady Topper.

photo_3.jpg

Ok, I looked at the bottom of the glass and then I actually puked into my wife's beer.

photo_1.jpg

That's how the last sip looked as it entered my mouth. My brain was telling me "delicious" while my eyes were trying to commit suicide.

What exactly is happening inside that can as it ages??????

zc

Ridire said:
I observed the same thing in Cigar City Jai Alia.

Had one of those last night too and saw the same thing but more along the lines of what I find in home brew. This heady sediment was thick the pix don't do it justice.

i hope you mean at the bottom of some bottles. i'm drinking a hb saison right now, and i can see my finger print through a 1/2 glass of it still

Well, all for those of us still relying on our single celled friends to carbonate our homebrew. Then we have to bargain with the yeast cake before pouring our pint, promising we'll harvest the cells for a starter to be used in a homebrew competition winning batch so they don't decide to stir up and fill our glass with clumps and haze. I can get clear bottle conditioned beer, but it's a life full of false promises, lies, and a steady wrist.

So does the Conan yeast not compact at all or what?

It's not yeast. It's the proteins in the hop oils coming out of suspension. Lucky enough to finally try Heady myself recently. I thought it was tastier from the can.

bovineblitz said:
You see the same thing in Delerium Tremens. It's just protein/yeast clumps. Good for the soul.

The last time I bought a Delirium Noel, it looked like that as well. Weird, as all the other ones I'd had looked fine. It didn't have any off flavors, but it sure looked off-putting.

they dont filter because you lose some hop aroma and flavor when you do. i agree with them

Back