Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Mjpetrag

Reaction score
Just brewed my take on heady topper saturday.

6 gal batch
100% RO
10 g gypsum
10 g epsom salt
5.5 g calcium chloride
16 lb pearl
8 oz dextrose
Mashed at 149 F
1 oz CTZ 60 min
Whirlpool - 20 min at 185
2 oz chinook
2 oz Amarillo
1 oz CTZ
2 oz Centenniel
2 oz simcoe
A04 barbarian fermenting at 67 F

I overshot the grain and ended up with 1.080 OG

Plan to Dry hop with 4 oz simcoe after primary is complete, then again with 2 oz simcoe

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just brewed my take on heady topper saturday.

6 gal batch
100% RO
10 g gypsum
10 g epsom salt
5.5 g calcium chloride
this might be a tangent, but: i'm curious about your water additions. have you calculated those salt additions? what sort of a resulting water profile do you arrive at? off the cuff, they seem on the really high end to me, and interesting that you have more gypsum than calcium chloride (not typical for hazies)

then again i'm too lazy to break out a water calculator and plug those numbers in so take my inquiry with a pinch of CaCl...

Mjpetrag

Reaction score
this might be a tangent, but: i'm curious about your water additions. have you calculated those salt additions? what sort of a resulting water profile do you arrive at? off the cuff, they seem on the really high end to me, and interesting that you have more gypsum than calcium chloride (not typical for hazies)

then again i'm too lazy to break out a water calculator and plug those numbers in so take my inquiry with a pinch of CaCl...
yes, 250 ppm SO4, 75 Cl. Just tasted the gravity sample at around 1.024 and it definitely has the heady “bite” as soon as you drink it. Very distinct, think it’s going to be a close recipe. I remember reading earlier in this thread that the SO4 was in the 300+ range from the alchemist water profile. I agree though, with hazies my normal water is 8 g CaCl, 5 g gypsum. Heady is a whole different story

Last edited:

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score

yes, 250 ppm SO4, 75 Cl... I remember reading earlier in this thread that the SO4 was in the 300+ range from the alchemist water profile. I agree though, with hazies my normal water is 8 g CaCl, 5 g gypsum. Heady is a whole different story
It's just a very standard British water profile, see eg here. Remember the influence of British brewing on the US scene in the late 20th century, the origin story of Heady is tied up with Britain what with the yeast and everything.

Mjpetrag

Reaction score
Trying to find a good consensus on dry hops used. From reading most of the pages here it sounds like only simcoe, but also sounds like could be more. Any ideas?

jerrylotto

Reaction score
The recipe I usually follow combines Columbus Crystal Centennial Chinook Citra Simcoe and Mosaic in different ratios for different stages. You can find it online at Jasper's (boomchugalug) searching for Heady Popper. The Mosaic is my own addition to the dry hop.

Mjpetrag

Reaction score
The recipe I usually follow combines Columbus Crystal Centennial Chinook Citra Simcoe and Mosaic in different ratios for different stages. You can find it online at Jasper's (boomchugalug) searching for Heady Popper. The Mosaic is my own addition to the dry hop.
Thanks - I’ll give it a try

Dgallo

Instagram: bantam_brews
Reaction score
To be honest, most of the clones commercially available are pretty close. Apollo, Columbus, centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo are most likely the hops. Pearl malt should be utilized as the base and the water profile should lean more west coast than NEIPA. As long as you find a kit starting there, you should be good. You can fine tune it from there.

I still like heady but it has certainly become what I consider a run of the Mill ipas.