Headroom for primary (AKA is my bucket too small!?!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhys79

Reaction score
Ok, just finished getting my first batch of wine ready to pitch and I think I have a small problem. My 6.5gal brew bucket is now full to about 1" from the top. I thought I had left myself with enough headroom, till I added sugar and went oh crap. Is this going to be enough room to go ahead and pitch without having a disastrous mess on my hands, or do I need to get a 7.9gal bucket and transfer first?

That would present the additional problem of the fact that all the local brew shops are closed Sun-Tue, which leaves me with a bucket of must sitting unpitched for three days :eek:. Will the must survive that long without being pitched, do I need to add sulphite each day or so to make sure nothing takes hold till then, or what?

It should be ok. You may get a little foam out of the top, so put it somewhere it won't stain if you get a little overflow. You don't get too much of a foamy head with wine. In primary, I just cover mine with a clean towel and then rack to secondary once the SG is 1.020 or below.

I'm using Montrachet yeast. If Yooper thinks it'll be alright, I'll go ahead and pitch my yeast. I just didn't want a wine fountain all over my floor. I can always transfer to a larger bucket Wednesday when the shops are open and I can pick one up.

I have used Montrachet yeast on five batches of Apfell Wine. It produces little, tiny bubbles and is otherwise pretty uneventull. Like Yooper said, it should OK.

Back