Heading to Indianapolis in a week, any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakead

Reaction score
I'll be up there for a long weekend visiting my brother and sister in-law. Brother in-law is a beer drinker so I am sure he will have some suggestions but I wanted to tap my resources here on the forum for any suggestions.

I'm already a huge fan of Three Floyds so I plan on getting as much of that down as possible.

Thanks for any help,

Beer Sellar and Ale Emporium on the Northside (Castleton) have good selections and Ale Emporium has awesome pizza.

Disclaimer: I do not work or profit any commission from these guys, but this is where you really get the best crafts in town. No big brands, just nice homemade stuff.

http://www.bierbrewery.com/index.html

I think it is relatively new in the area. It is located in the same building as the LHBS (Great Fermentations), in fact, I think the owners work or have some relationship with the store, I'm not sure. Anyway it's a tap room and they let you taste all current brews or as many as you want. They sell half-gallon refills for about 10-15 bucks, depending how complex and strong the beer is and the glass jug that you have to buy initially costs about 4 bucks.

Look at their hours in the website before you go, because they're not always open.

Disclaimer: I do not work or profit any commission from these guys, but this is where you really get the best crafts in town. No big brands, just nice homemade stuff.

http://www.bierbrewery.com/index.html

I think it is relatively new in the area. It is located in the same building as the LHBS (Great Fermentations), in fact, I think the owners work or have some relationship with the store, I'm not sure. Anyway it's a tap room and they let you taste all current brews or as many as you want. They sell half-gallon refills for about 10-15 bucks, depending how complex and strong the beer is and the glass jug that you have to buy initially costs about 4 bucks.

Look at their hours in the website before you go, because they're not always open.

I can second that! (I also have no affiliation with this place, just drink a lot of their beer!) There are other craft breweries in town, most of which make some great beer, but the guys at Bier do an amazing job. Best in the city. Fun to go in and taste what they've got on tap and talk about beer.

I need to go check that place out next time I'm buying beer stuff.

Sun King would be a fun place to go downtown. i've never been there but a buddy of mine is involved there.

Upland has a tasting room in Broadripple also.

moosetav said:
The dude who started the brewery used to work at Great Fermentations. Nice guy.

And still gets his grain from there as well. I had to wait for them to finish grabbing grain a while back. Bier has some excellent beer for sure. Sun King is also a good one. I am a big fan of Barley Island which has a restaurant in Broad Ripple and the brewery is in Noblesville which also has a restaurant. They have some awesome beers.

BTW, do you guys like Great Fermentations?

I used grains from them in my last 2 AG batches and for the first time my efficiency was over 75%. I wonder if that was from their quality of crushing or I just happened to improve my brewing technique…

Indyking said:

I used grains from them in my last 2 AG batches and for the first time my efficiency was over 75%. I wonder if that was from their quality of crushing or I just happened to improve my brewing technique…

I love that place. Always helpful, knowledgeable people available. I can even harass them on Twitter to see if they have stuff in stock and they always get back to me quickly.

I've found them to be very helpful as well.

Yeah GF is good people.

As for beer - Beer Sellar is good, Barley Island brewpub in Broadripple also. Rusty Bucket near 86th and Ditch is actually pretty good too. I had Rogue Yellow Snow on tap the other night there.

I was not even aware of Bier Brewery. How long has it been open???

Didn't make our flight this weekend so now were heading out in the morning. Thanks for the suggestions. Found out they live in Westfield. Anything near there?

That's north about 35 min from downtown. Pretty much everywhere mentioned in the thread is within 15-20 min for you. Sun King is downtown but everything else is scattered on the northside. Lucky you! :)

Back