Headed to the Big Easy(New Orleans)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
Going for Jazz Fest this weekend. My father in law worked there with 'a major phone company' after Katrina for almost 2 years, and really came to enjoy the town. He asked us( me, my SWMBO(his daughter), his son(my bro-in-law), and sons SWMBO) whether we wanted to go to Mardi Gras or Jazzfest, for better or worse we chose Jazz Fest. He's paying for everything( the phone company put him up in a major hotel for the entire two years, so he has a few dozen free hotel stays from the 'points' accrued - pretty sweet) which is obviously very nice.

Anyway, anybody else going? He's got the 'in' on great food places,etc. But please let me know if there's something I shouldn't miss. I've been twice, so I've been to most of the 'major' places of interest. Great beer anywhere?

I lived in New Orleans until Katrina.

In my opinion, if you feel like driving out to the 'burbs, some of the best craft beer is at a place called Zea's in Clearview Mall in Metairie. It's about a fifteen-twenty minute drive (depending on traffic) west on I-10. Nice little mall. Zea's is a bistro style place kind of like Houston's, but they brew some beers in-house. Also sell growlers... at least they used to.

Used to live down the street from the place. I often really miss NOLA.

http://abita.com/ <---they are north of the city in Covington, they have a brew pub plus the brewery does tours (and free beer!)
http://www.draftfreak.com/ <--- three locations in the area, used to do keep the pint glass on Wednesday, the Mid-City location is very nice and pretty close to the Fair Grounds.

I am not sure if the Dixie Brewery is back up and running, might be interesting to check out.

If you are looking for a place to buy bottles (not sure if there is anything worth looking for), I would suggest Martin's Wine Cellar. I believe the Metairie location has the best selection.

Hello from New Orleans! I'm writing from the hotel compy, day 1 of Jazzfest under our belt. My father-in-law says mothers is a tourist trap ollllllo, what gives? ;) Just kidding, I'll try to hit it up. Anyway, we're doing well.:fro:

oh, if you want a good po-boy head uptown to Domilise's: 5240 Annunciation St.
But call ahead, they keep weird hours (or at least used to): 504-899-9126

There is a place called ACME somewhere in/near the Frech Quarter. I had some oysters there that were lightly seasoned and then broiled in front of you on a grill with a gas flame 5" high. Never had them like that before or since but they werte awesome. The place is a dive but damn good oysters ( and I dont normally like oysters). New Orleans has lots of good food, I had an awesome meal at NOLA.

Since I was with BMC drinkers i did not get a chance to explore the brew scene. I will be going back at the end of June and will be sure to check out some of the places listed on this thread.

Latest posts

Back