Head Stability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Jeff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In the past, often times when I would pour a beer, it would have a good head on the beer and usually collapse, would collapse shortly there after, the beer always had a good taste and it didn't bother me, and on a rare occasion I would brew one that had good stability.

My most recent rye ipa, the head is like whipped icing, big head and just stays there and holds firm.

I did as I remembered that I normally had done in the past.

Now, given, it has been a good while since I brewed on my own equipment, since I was working in Alaska for the last two years.
This beer had-
~54% two row
~25% Rye Malt
~7% Caramel 60
~14% table sugar for fermentables
and a bunch of hops
with a single packet of US05 in ten gallons

Any ideas?

I'd say the rye is definitely contributing. I add a touch of wheat to recipes to aid in foam retention. Funny this thread came up, because I was thinking about this the other night. I don't know what you're facial hair situation is, but I've definitely killed the head on a beer from beard oil on my mustache. Bet that happens more than people think.

Back