Head Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amonratut

Reaction score
Hello fellow mead makers!!! What are the best methods to get rid of that unwanted head space???

I have added fruit, then it becomes a Melomel I think.
how much head space do you need to fill?

is it already done fermenting?
are you planning to rack it to another container soon?
I have heard some people have used marbles to take up some volume, but i would be worried about dropping them in a glass carboy. plus you would need to rack to the carboy with the marbles(sanitized of course), not drop into the carboy with the mead in it.
maybe someone else has an idea, I would like to know too.
cheers

It's already done fermenting. I think what I'm going to do is mix some clover honey in warm spring water then add that to the batch. It's a hair dryer then I like so that should help with the head space and sweeten it up a bit. IDK if I like the idea of putting marbles in the mead. glass on glass sound like a bad idea. I've seen videos of guys doing that. I've racked it for the last time. I'm going to make a 5 gallon batch next. I think I'll start with 5.5 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket to ferment then use a glass carboy for the secondary. I'm guessing that I'll loose about 1/2 of a gallon when racking to the secondary. That should eliminate the head space issue for the 5 gallon batch. Have you ever made a 5 gallon batch and if so how did you solve/prevent the head space issue?

I only have done 2 gallon and i usually ferment in a 2.5g water jug after primary i transfer to 1 gallon glass.
i fill it so there's only about an inch from the bung and purge the jugs with Co2.
yeah i would add the honey and spring water mix, it might start another fermentation.
cheers

The best way to reduce headroom is to rack to a smaller container. That may mean racking to a smaller carboy AND to 1500 ml wine bottles (you can get drilled bungs that allow you to seal bottles and yet allow CO2 to escape).

Good thinking Bernard!!! I just made a batch of Cran-Pineapple wine and the whole house smells like a candy store!!! As soon as it started fermenting it smelled as if someone was making some delicious taffy in the house. I can't wait to try it!!!!!!!!!

Late to the party but if it's only 1 1/2 cup worth of head space and you recently racked after primary fermentation I would just degas the mead and stick an airlock on it. You'll have plently of C02 in there to keep it safe. But, adding some water/honey to backsweeten should easily do the trick.

Back