Head space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centworthy

Reaction score
How much is appropriate when topping off a carboy? I know a lot isn't good but is it possible to have too little?

Depends on what you are doing. For fermenting you need a bunch of headspace but if you are clarifying then I fill it right up into the neck

Yes, yes it is. Some headspace is desirable as your yeasts will need oxygen initially for vigorous growth and fermentation. I tend to fill my carboy's up to the base of the neck before corking with an airlock or blowoff.

When I move wine into it's secondary I leave about 2 inches. It only needs oxygen in the primary which for me is always a bucket.

Thanks everyone. Inner 10 yes it's in secondary, I also ferment in a bucket but wasn't sure for the secondary how much was right. I assume that in the secondary there is still some fermentation going on, but the yeast was well established in the primary several weeks earlier.

Thanks everyone. Inner 10 yes it's in secondary, I also ferment in a bucket but wasn't sure for the secondary how much was right. I assume that in the secondary there is still some fermentation going on, but the yeast was well established in the primary several weeks earlier.

At that point I really don't think you can have too little...although you will have to use a theif to remove some before you stick a racking cane in there and make a mess.

Back