Head Space troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burquebrewer

Reaction score
So it seems from all ive read that too much headspace in the secondary and all subsequent fermentation/ aging vessels is bad. This causes me some concern and I was wondering if I may be able to reacha good solution here.

My problem:

I make 2.75 gallon batches of mead. Sometimes, I make one gallon batches. My fermenter sizes on hand (at least in glass form) are 6.5 gallons, 5 gallons, 3 gallons, and 2.5 gallons. I usually tend to have active fermentations, and so I use the three gallon fermenters for 2.75 gallons of mead. After first racking, I wind up with just about 2.5 gallons, which is perfect to put in a 2.5 gallon fermenter. After racking the second time, I usually have aboout2.25 or 2.3 gallons, which seems to be leaving too much headspace? After the next racking, I have closer to two gallons, which is great to separate into two 1 gallon jugs.

The problem is that period after racking the second time. it will sit 30 to 60 days with a few inches of headspace in a 2.5 gallon container? Bad?

I thought about racking straight into two one gallon containers and a third half gallon carboy, but then I feel I've got to mess with trying to start three separate siphons, I'm going to leave behind a lot more liquid as well if I'm siphoning off of three small sediments in those three containers? Also, where to go from there, If I leave liquid behind in the one gallon jugs, I am siphoning them into even smaller bottles? Seems like a losing battle. How do others deal with this?

If you have access to Co2 you can put a blanket of Co2 over the mead and you should be good for a while. You can also add sanitized marbles/glass beads to take up the space.

I deal with it by having a few 1/2 and 1 gallon glass jugs. They get a lot of use. During racking I'll "pinch" the siphon hose to temporarily stop flow while lining up the next jug. After a while you get good at anticipating how much yield you'll get from a batch.

I do the same as Maylar, or if the volume is fairly small, I'll top off with a bottle or two of a previous batch of mead. The latter works especially well when I've made a melomel with a ton of fruit; a little Trad on top dilutes to sane levels.

Back