Head smells bad, beer tastes OK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riko

Reaction score
About six weeks ago I brewed the "Dirty Water Brown" nut brown recipe in Jamil's "Brewing Classic Styles" book. I'd brewed it once before and was happy with the results, so I decided to do it again.

When I went to pour my first glass out of the keg, I noticed an off aroma that was bad enough I thought the batch had been infected. A week later I poured another glass and the aroma was still there. When I asked Mrs. Riko to taste it a few minutes later, she said she thought it was fine. then I tasted it again and also thought it tasted fine.

I've now figured out that it's the head on the beer that is producing the off aroma. If I pour a glass and wait for the head to settle, it smells and tastes OK. But if I smell it while the head is still there, it smells pretty bad.

Anyone else ever experience this? Any suggestions on what might be causing it, or if there's anything I can do about it?

I clean the lines between each batch but don't always clean the taps. Would dirty lines or taps cause the head to have an off aroma?

I clean the lines between each batch but don't always clean the taps. Would dirty lines or taps cause the head to have an off aroma?

I am not saying this is the cause, but do believe with 99% certainty that dirty lines and/or taps can contribute to off-flavors and aromas. I have never experienced it at home, but I have been to plenty of dive bars whose tap lines likely weren't cleaned since prohibition was lifted. The smell is that of mold. It can also be from calcium build up (http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/what-is-beerstone-aid-158.html). Hope this helps.

When I went to pour my first glass out of the keg, I noticed an off aroma that was bad enough I thought the batch had been infected. A week later I poured another glass and the aroma was still there. When I asked Mrs. Riko to taste it a few minutes later, she said she thought it was fine. then I tasted it again and also thought it tasted fine.

So wait a minute, did you ask your wife to taste your bad smelling beer before you tried it?

So wait a minute, did you ask your wife to taste your bad smelling beer before you tried it?

Of course. It's not like I'm going to drink something nasty without making her try it first.

Just kidding. I tasted it before she did, and told her I thought the batch was bad and wanted her opinion. She's a good sport.

Of course. It's not like I'm going to drink something nasty without making her try it first.

Just kidding. I tasted it before she did, and told her I thought the batch was bad and wanted her opinion. She's a good sport.

I think you have a keeper.

What yeast did you use? I brewed a raspberry beer a while back with WLP041. Tasted great, smelled awful. Solved the problem by avoiding smelling it.

The yeast was he WLP001. I'll also avoid smelling it, and let it settle before handing anyone a glass of it, but I wish I know what caused this.

Hate to revive an old thread. Didn't see much out there on this. I have the exact same issue but I bottle. I have a pumpkin pale ale with what I would call an infection smell in the head when poured in a glass. Once the head dissipates, the aroma disappears and beer tastes fine. What do think causes this? I used Wyeast London Ale, partial mash and this is a 8.2% with extra magnum hops. In the bottle 3.5 weeks now.

Last edited:
I made a split batch of an amber ale and half smelled clean and the other half smelled a little like a fart. I kegged both, and the clean beer has been fantastic. The fart beer still smells a bit like a fart after 5 weeks or so, but it tastes fine. So I drink it and try not to smell it. I haven't shared any, nor have I gotten sick.

I made a split batch of an amber ale and half smelled clean and the other half smelled a little like a fart. I kegged both, and the clean beer has been fantastic. The fart beer still smells a bit like a fart after 5 weeks or so, but it tastes fine. So I drink it and try not to smell it. I haven't shared any, nor have I gotten sick.
What was difference in the split batch? Different yeast? Hydrogen sulfide smell can come from yeast or infection. If you ferment with a yeast that is a big h2s producer and you don't take necessary steps to let it clear, you may be stuck with it. If it's an infection, you're definitely stick with it. Pils malt can throw some sulphur also, btw.

What was difference in the split batch? Different yeast? Hydrogen sulfide smell can come from yeast or infection. If you ferment with a yeast that is a big h2s producer and you don't take necessary steps to let it clear, you may be stuck with it. If it's an infection, you're definitely stick with it. Pils malt can throw some sulphur also, btw.
It was boiled in the same kettle, but fermented in 2 separate vessels. Only difference is I opened 1 to sample. Maybe oxygenation? The clean one might be my favorite beer I brewed. But as soon as I popped the top of the other to keg, I made a joke about it being a fart beer. It subsided a little, to where other people can't notice it, but I still can smell it.

Back