Head retention?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
My Munich Dunkel (made as a steam beer w/ california lager) has a problem I've never had before--very poor head retention.

Grainbill:
7.75 lb Pilsner
3 lb Munich
6 oz German Crystal 65L
13 oz CaraMunich
2 oz chocolate

2 OZ Hersbrucker kettle hops (no flavor/aroma hops)

OG 1.055
IBUs about 23
FG about 1.015

I know that this doesn't have any of the adjucts that generally improve head retention, but I've brewed several batches without flaked wheat or the like before and never gotten such poor head retention. Brew day was absolutely unremarkable and problem free.

This beer was slow to carbonate (it was bottled 2 months ago), but it is fully carbonated and has adequate head when poured. But unlike most beers, not only does the head disappear quickly, but the beer itself seems to go flat fairly quickly in the glass.

Any thoughts?

What type of glass are you using?

I had a similar problem with pint glasses that I ran through the dishwasher. SWMBO put in that no spotting agent. It was leaving a residue that was killing the head on all my beers.

I was racking my brain about this one...then I noticed you added chocolate. I believe that's your culprit. The oils in the chocolate will likely kill the head. I'm not sure, but the chocolate might also be responsible for the beer quickly losing its carbonation.

I do wash my pint glasses in the dishwasher, but all my other beers are fine in the same glasses, so...

I'm going to try rinsing the glass really well before pouring this particular beer and see if it helps any, though.

Yes...had same problem. I sanatized my bottles in the dishwasher and the wife put that 'no spot' stuff in there and it killed the head retention.

Yuri_Rage said:
I was racking my brain about this one...then I noticed you added chocolate. I believe that's your culprit. The oils in the chocolate will likely kill the head. I'm not sure, but the chocolate might also be responsible for the beer quickly losing its carbonation.

Just to be clear, that was chocolate malt, not chocolate chocolate.

cweston said:
I do wash my pint glasses in the dishwasher, but all my other beers are fine in the same glasses, so...

I'm going to try rinsing the glass really well before pouring this particular beer and see if it helps any, though.
I've found that dishwasher-washed glasses fare much better if you rinse them in cold water, pour a small amount of beer in and swirl, drink the "rinsing agent" beer, then finish the pour.

EDIT:
cweston said:
Just to be clear, that was chocolate malt, not chocolate chocolate.
Back to confused...the glasses probably aren't entirely to blame, though, unless you've recently topped up your Jet Dry or changed detergent.

next time you make this beer try using a carapils malt in your specialty grains, it aids in head retention. If you are brewing a lighter beer, where the "light caramel taste" would be unusual try adding a plain dextrin malt. You should be pleased with the results.

I suspect the dishwasher. I don't wash my beer glasses in the dishwasher. Cascade and Dawn tabs both have drying agents that coat the inside of the glass. Most all dishwasher soaps have some sort of drying agents to keep glasses from spotting.

You may just plain be getting away with it on your other beers because they have more head in the first place.

Back