Head or No Head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownsbrews

Reaction score
This is a debate that me and my friends have had. What beers need a head and what beers dont. Is it just a personal opinion on what one likes. Cause i know certine beers i like with a nice head cause it makes it taste better and others make it flat. So what is you opinion on it? Is there a sicence to it or not?

Cheers
Ren and Julia:mug:

My opinion,

Every beer needs a head. It'll either be a small head, or a big ol head.

To ME the darker the beer, the thinner the head, the lighter, the higher the head, never above 20% of the glass.

And now, saying all of that, I should say, that's MOST times. The weight of the beer comes into play as well, the heavier the beer, the thinner the head IN MY OPINION

But again, not a science, just my thoughts.

I like a thick/foamy head on wheat beers and a thin/light head on ales which turns in to lace on the glass as I drink it.

I won't be the first to make the inevitable "head" joke though.

Any kind of head that doesn't take too long. I'm mean seriously, finish up and lets get one with life.

Um, oh beer.... Depends on style. And yes I like head according to style, almost none for bitters, lots for wheat, and a small to medium amount on all the rest.

I like it on most any beer, though obviously a a big creamy head doesn't fit all lagers and ales well. I think the stigma against it is (1) noobs who don't know how to pour beer leading bros to think that all head on a beer is bad, or (2) bars that leave a lot of head on pint glasses, making people think they're getting ripped off. As long as I'm buying my own bottles or pouring my own, I prefer head. However, I get mixed feelings when a bar serves me something to the brim. On the one hand, no head! On the other hand, more beer :ban:

Head is always appropriate with any beer.

Just be sure not to spill it on her are it may come to an abrupt end or worse she might clench in response.

Oh wait.

I like it on most any beer, though obviously a a big creamy head doesn't fit all lagers and ales well. I think the stigma against it is (1) noobs who don't know how to pour beer leading bros to think that all head on a beer is bad, or (2) bars that leave a lot of head on pint glasses, making people think they're getting ripped off. As long as I'm buying my own bottles or pouring my own, I prefer head. However, I get mixed feelings when a bar serves me something to the brim. On the one hand, no head! On the other hand, more beer :ban:

I always get worried when the beer that I order has no head. It usually means something went wrong between the time you ordered it and the time you received it. I used to pour beer as a job in college, and if there was no head when I served the beer this was usually the case. But, you are right, if I were to serve a beer with more than 1/4" of head on it, most people think they are getting ripped off.

But, you are right, if I were to serve a beer with more than 1/4" of head on it, most people think they are getting ripped off.

Yes, but those are the bmc crowd, and don't deserve head.

Want to see it and want it to go away fast as it gets in the way of the beer. Nothing better than getting a full to the rim pint of Brutal Bitter without any foam.

I personally like the first sip of a beer to be pure foamy head. Theres a lot of flavors in the head that arent as easy to point out in the beer itself. When it comes to the lighter beers its not as crucial for the taste... but with the darker ones its pretty important to me

Back