head on a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evans-m11

Reaction score
hello, I generally get a reasonably good head on my homebrew. I was wondering if there are any additives that anyone uses that can improve the retention and richness of the foam? thanks Huw

If you're brewing all-grain, then there are quite a few grain options that improve head retention including wheat, flaked barley, carapils, crystal malt and more. Also techniques like high mash temp and higher hopping rates.

If you're brewing extract, then you can add a powder called maltodextrin.

Last century as an extract brewer I used to use this on beers that needed a good head such as stouts and Theakstons old peculier.

Unsure if available in USA, might be able to formulate it yourself with a bit of research some of the ingredients visible on the label and other sources of this might have a more revealing picture.

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/beer-heading-liquid.html

Maltodextrin is used for that. And it's available this century.
I may have some left over from last century in a box of stuff that doesn't get used that's in my basement, which @DuncB will be happy to invite you to. :)

Carapils. Breiss says;
Usage Levels / Beer Styles
1-5% To add body and foam stability without influencing color or aroma

Carapils. Breiss says
Manufacturers say a lot of things, though; doesn't make them true - look at pH 5.2 stabilizer ;)

I think people have perpetuated the "carapils effect" within homebrew lore, but work done by Brulosophy (here and here) and Scott Janish has suggest it isn't the silver bullet that people have treated it as.

Manufacturers say a lot of things, though; doesn't make them true - look at pH 5.2 stabilizer ;)

I think people have perpetuated the "carapils effect" within homebrew lore, but work done by Brulosophy (here and here) and Scott Janish has suggest it isn't the silver bullet that people have treated it as.
I use carapils. I like it.

Back