Head on a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
so I am looking for some feedback on this one. If I am not mistaken ALL beer should have head on it. So let me back up a bit to explain my question... we ( wife and I) wen5 out to eat. We ended up getting seated by the the tap. As I watched many waitress fill glasses from taps, I just shook my head. My wife asked “why are you shaking your head” I just said there’s no head. Her reply was “ why is no head bad?” And then to my sadness, I said I’m not sure.. so my question to everyone, is why is head so important?

I understand what it is from (co2) and what kills it ( like dirty glasses) but why is it so nice to see head on a beer?

The fact is that the carbon dioxide in a good head carries with it intense, complex aromas from the beer that otherwise might be lost to the nose and the palate. As an example, a good India Pale Ale (IPA) will have a nice, bitter flavor, but if you sniff the foam and drink it with a head, you will also detect undertones of citrus fruit and pine needles. So in order to enjoy a beer to its full potential, you should let it develop a natural head on the pour. https://everythingontap.com/2014/04/08/beer-head/

A fresh, properly hopped and carbonated beer that has sufficient protein levels should have a nice foam stand, but the serving temperature will always have an influence on that. A beer served cold at just above freezing will display less foam, but at room temps the same beer may fill your mug with foam. A mildly-hopped light American lager poured at room temperature might be slightly flat compared to a pale ale or stout ... this is why I tend to keep my beers hopped above 20IBU and refrain from using Whirlfloc or fining agents in the wort.

Back