HD Water Cooler HLT and MT??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know that there has been a lot of discussion on these coolers. I'm also considering making another MT and HLT out of a pair of HD water coolers.

I'm just wondering how they hold up to 170-175* water. I've head some talk about them warping and cracking.

My other consideration is a metal pot wrapped with foil covered bubble wrap.

Thoughts?

The sides of mine warped. If you got a cheep pot of amazon and used it; that would be a longer term investment.

I bought a 20 quart SS pot from my local large grocery store for only $19.99 on sale. Check around at your local large grocery store chains and see what they have. I also snagged a 30 quart SS pot, it was $49.99 and wasn't on sale.

Thanks guys..
Now a question might be.. Do you know of anyone who sells tall, narrow pots such as the turkey fryers out of stainless. The only ones I'm familiar with are Bayou Classic and Blichmann.. I like the tall narrow ones most, I believe, based on lower boil off.. less surface area seems to lower the boil off rate, in my experience. I have two turkey fryer pots right now.. one is over well over 7 gallons and the other is about 26 qts. Both aluminum.. which I have no problem with for use as a HLT.. but, I'd like to have a similar design for the MT and BK without hocking my wife and kids.

I have an igloo MT that I have had for a year now. Lose 0-1 degrees an hour. No warping or cracking. Love it. I want to make a HLT out of another soon.

Anyway just my experience.

I have an igloo MT that I have had for a year now. Lose 0-1 degrees an hour. No warping or cracking. Love it. I want to make a HLT out of another soon.

Anyway just my experience.

Thing is though, you could put a burner under a SS HLT and not worry about having to dump water into it, and just heat it directly.

Yes those coolers rock for mashing, mixed review on HLT.

jflongo said:
Thing is though, you could put a burner under a SS HLT and not worry about having to dump water into it, and just heat it directly.

Yes those coolers rock for mashing, mixed review on HLT.

No, heating element set with a temp controller. Maybe a timer so it starts right before brew day.

No worrying about anything. That's the plan anyway.

Back