HBT not working in Firefox

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

InspectorJon

Reaction score
I am having trouble accessing HBT on my desktop computer. Initial login usually works but then I am unable to switch to a specific forum or switch between forums. This started a week or two ago. Everything works fine on my iPhone and Surface Pro. My Surface Pro is using the same browser but has Windows 10 Pro.

I have tried deleting coolies and site data a few times and then was able to log in again but often can't get past the first page. Sometimes I can get a little farther before the site stops responding. It is kind of sporadic.

To help us better help you when reporting a problem, please include the following information:

Browser: Firefox 100.0.2 (latest version)
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro
Did you click the back button to get there? No
What was the URL of the error? HBT in general, Not having this issue on other websites.
What were you doing to get the error? Clicking on forum links to navigate HBT
What did the error message say? See Screenshots below
What is your username? InspectorJon
Were you logged in? Yes
Did you try clearing cookies to fix it? Yes
If Mobile Phone Related, What Type of Phone? N/A
If E-Mail Related, Your Internet Service Provider or E-Mail Website Name? N/A, My ISP is Comcast
If Login Related, Does Your Browser Clear Your Cookies When You Close it (in browser settings)? Browser does not automatically clear cookies.
Screenshot of Error (if available):

1653507935511.jpeg

1653507841933.jpeg

Sometimes I get a screen that looks like this:
1653507990508.jpeg

OP
OP
InspectorJon

InspectorJon

Reaction score
I am wondering if it is some setting I can't identify on that specific computer. It is a new Dell XPS with i7 processor running Windows 11 Pro.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Selected text does not get highlighted - very annoying when editing!

When **I** type and mouse-select, it is gray.
When I highlight another's message, it be blue.
Sehr interessant.

1653912378924.png

damn, and it's even worse selecting a quote...i was going to make that selected text blue for some humor, but now the strugle seems even more real!

(if you look very, very closely....you can see the last part of that first quote is selected....

Reaction score
FWIW, for me FireFox has gone from 100.0 to 100.2 over the duration of this topic.

So if those problem reports don't include version numbers, it may have been fixed a later release of something.

Reaction score
v100.0.2 here 64-bit Win10 Pro....(but it isn't a 'problem' just choice in color?)
With selected text, I also see different colors - depending on where the text is located (display text vs text in editing box). I don't recall what it was with previous versions of the web site and FireFox.

Beyond selected text, with "today's set of things", the icons on the editing bar seem to match my expectations better. But that could be related to the variety of the coffee bean in the 2nd cup this morning. 🤷‍♂️

sibelman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A bit more detail: selected text highlights blue except in the editing window. I can highlight (and see that I've highlighted) text in other postings. Just not while I'm creating my own. This isn't a Firefox issue though -- also fails in Opera, but only on my main (kubuntu) machine. On my (media only!) Windows 10 laptop, Firefox and Edge show highlighting, though grey rather than bright blue. Curious. I've tried various color setting adjustments to no effect.

Still, my issue doesn't really fit the thread title. And, aside from this invisibly-selected text annoyance, the HBT web update doesn't seem to be causing me any grief.

Last edited:
OP
OP
InspectorJon

InspectorJon

Reaction score
A bit more detail: selected text highlights blue except in the editing window. I can highlight (and see that I've highlighted) text in other postings. Just not while I'm creating my own. This isn't a Firefox issue though -- also fails in Opera, but only on my main (Linux) machine. On my (media only!) Windows 10 laptop, Firefox and Edge show highlighting, though grey rather than bright blue. Curious.
This is what it looks like on my Win 11 Pro machine with current Firefox.
Highlighted test is clearly different in the editing box. Not sure I'd call that a malfunction.
1653921672150.png

sibelman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
fwiw, I can change the "Selection Background" color, and that will apply to Firefox and other apps -- just not in the HBT editing box, where highlighting is invisible (on Kubuntu). The fact that no visible highlighting occurs there is a curious malfunction, though not hugely significant -- and not (in my situation) related to browser choice.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@sibelman i had luck f'ing up every other site, and changing this setting in firefox to 'always'....maybe you can figure a smoother way?

1653962658928.png

i changed it always and all the highlighting was nice and blue, but nothing else worked....especialy youtube....

sibelman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That certainly messes up the appearance of HBT somewhat - now my background is gray (even though the "selections above" show background as white like on your helpful screenshot. But it does cure my little problem with HBT edit-box highlighted text -- merci beaucoups, dude! Could lead to an even better solution...

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure it's really that big an issue -- editing my own typing the highlight is now light blue
1654082591585.png

While highlighting prior typing/posting is darker blue
1654082633405.png