HBT Mechanics: Need to find a screw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adx

Reaction score
Just wanted to start off by saying I'm mechanically inclined, but have no idea when it comes to screw sizes.

The screw fell out that holds my door lock in the door. I searched and searched inside the door but couldn't find the damn thing. Problem is I have no idea what size to replace it with. I tried the two screws holding in the door panel in the theory that Subaru would like to stock as few screws as possible. One of them was too small, but the other one almost fit it. I think it was the right size, but the threads were too thick on it since it was in a piece of plastic. All I know is that I needed a #3 Phillips screw driver to get it out so it's a bit of a big screw.

I'm hoping someone out there in HBT land has access to a set of Subaru shop manuals. The car is an '04 Subaru Impreza TS.

get the shop manual they will give you a part number, take the part number to the dealer and buy the bolt. Or get a tap and dye and re thread the hole to whatever size bolts you have sitting around.

Take apart another door, take out the screw and go to a specialty fastener place and get another one. Make sure you put some blue thread lock on them both before re-installing them so they never fall out again.

The dealer should be able to tell you exactly what you need without a manual, they should have everything on film or computer.

You could also try measuring the clearance hole or the threaded hole to give you an idea of what size you need, it will be metric.

Then there are a couple thread profiles it may be 1.0, 1.25 so just go buy one of each....so for example if the clearance hole is just over 8mm and/or the threaded hole is just under 8mm and you need it to be 12mm long you will need a M8-1.0X12mm or M8-1.25X12mm with the appropriate head profile.

Good luck

Take apart another door, take out the screw and go to a specialty fastener place and get another one. Make sure you put some blue thread lock on them both before re-installing them so they never fall out again.

The dealer should be able to tell you exactly what you need without a manual, they should have everything on film or computer.

You could also try measuring the clearance hole or the threaded hole to give you an idea of what size you need, it will be metric.

Then there are a couple thread profiles it may be 1.0, 1.25 so just go buy one of each....so for example if the clearance hole is just over 8mm and/or the threaded hole is just under 8mm and you need it to be 12mm long you will need a M8-1.0X12mm or M8-1.25X12mm with the appropriate head profile.

Good luck

a hybrid answer from both above posts; go to the dealer and tell them exactly what you have said above, they have shop manuals that they can look through to locate the right part (they'll either order it or have it in stock)...

when you get the screws, put some lock-tite on them, or blue (or red, or black) silicone to prevent them from falling out again. Most auto parts stores have these silicones in tubes.

Back