HBT Iron Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
Anyone ever done anything like that on here? I see the beers of Christmas and various trading threads; but, has anyone done an iron brew type of competition on here?

I’m thinking like the twelve days of Christmas one except everyone makes a suggestion on a key ingredient, or two. Or maybe something wild they’ve always wanted to try. Then everything is randomized and you get something off the wall to try to brew. Send 3 to each person and wait on your (number of entrants)x3 beers to arrive and then everyone judges them.

Doesn’t have to be crazy stuff, either. I don’t want to make an anchovy amber; but, a peanut butter and jelly stout would be fun...

Anybody else half ass interested in something like this?

My LHBS puts on Iron Brewer in Cleveland every year that I participate in. You're assigned a random ingredient out of a hat and the LHBS supplies the ingredient and then you have an hour to formulate a recipe and buy your grain from them. Two years ago I had to brew with cumin, so I did a cumin wit called "don't cumin me baby" and then last year I had spruce tips, in which I did a holiday spiced beer and used the spruce instead of hops. They threw ingredients in like flaming hot cheetos, bacon, and grapes to name a few. This would be a fun thing to do on HBT as long as everyone was committed.

ibl.jpg
This pic was last year. it was cold and rainy but super fun. In the picture, I'm the guy in the front left.

Currently racked a Kölsch onto a donut tincture and some Concord grape jelly that was heated up with some water to thin it out.

Iron brew competitions are a lot of fun!

Jump in, then. There’s a signup thread floating around.

I'll have to locate that thread and see what the details are. Brewing for me is very hit and miss with family life and traveling for work. Thanks for the heads up @Boomer !

Back