Hazy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenson801

Reaction score
I'm attempting a hazy IPA, Treehouse Haze-ish clone. I'm curious to know, would you use whirfloc with it??

I didn't, and it's super hazy... more muddy! I know some will settle down when I rack to 2ndary. But just curious to see what affect a whirfloc would have with flaked oats, since they give a haze anyway.

(...I know, I need to tweak it to make it more orange colored. First time attempting something like this!)

IMG_2741.jpg

I used whirlfloc with the batch I brewed yesterday, I will probably even cold crash but I'm not going to use gelatin, all the thing I normally do with my home brew...

You'll be surprised by the actual color of that beer once it's fermented out and cold crashed plus cold bottle/keg conditioned

Gotcha!! Thanks all for the replies! I'll wait to see how this turns out... maybe I'll try adding some to the next batch!

@cyanmonkey a looks great!!! Hope mine turns out like that!! ��

Three items for you to ponder.
1. Of course it is hazy and muddy looking. It is still actively fermenting and the yeast activity is keeping all the break material stirred up in the beer. Don't judge a beer before it is done.
2. Don't bother racking it to secondary. It doesn't help it clear (it may even hinder clearing) and opens up a chance for infection that isn't there in your primary.
3. Judging the color of your beer and needed changes to the recipe while actively fermenting is counterproductive. Wait for the ferment to complete, the yeast and trub to settle out and the beer bottled for 3 weeks. Then pour a beer into your serving glassware and make your decisions based on reality.

Three items for you to ponder.
1. Of course it is hazy and muddy looking. It is still actively fermenting and the yeast activity is keeping all the break material stirred up in the beer. Don't judge a beer before it is done.
2. Don't bother racking it to secondary. It doesn't help it clear (it may even hinder clearing) and opens up a chance for infection that isn't there in your primary.
3. Judging the color of your beer and needed changes to the recipe while actively fermenting is counterproductive. Wait for the ferment to complete, the yeast and trub to settle out and the beer bottled for 3 weeks. Then pour a beer into your serving glassware and make your decisions based on reality.

Excellent points!! MYbe I'll just let it sit for a while, then dry hop it instead of racking it over then. 👍🏻

Back