hazy beer tastes different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave the Brewer

Reaction score
I just started drinking my first home brew. I've been chilling the beer a couple at a time. When they chill, it gets very hazy. The look doesn't bother me; when it gets hazy it taste like I'm eating raw hops. Not desirable to me. So I just tried one at about 65 F and it tastes GREAT no haze nice clear crisp good tasting ale. My girlfreind and I are throwing a halloween party tonight, I was going to share some home brew, only if its tasting right. Is there anyway I can get around this besides keeping some mugs in the freezer? Other than this problem: Satisfied:mug:

Also, how cold is your fridge. I have an extra fridge in the basement for beer and wine and I keep it on the lowest (highest temp) setting. Beer at 35 degrees does have a lot of bite compared to 45.

Well about a week ago I set one in the fridge(even tho it wasn't ready to be drank) while everything was settled to the bottom, when it chilled it got hazy; i left it for a week and it was still hazy. It never settled. My fidge is pretty cold; I noticed this morning that the top of some juice i had in the back was frozen on top. Maybe if I raised the temp up a little it would help? thanks guys

Ó Flannagáin said:
It's allll in your mind. :D

despite my previous comment, I do tend to agree with O Flannagain. Chill haze is said to be a cosmetic problem. Does it taste bad? or just different? Oh, and if your fridge is freezing stuff, it's too cold. Stuff like fruit, lettuce, milk and beer don't like being frozen much at all.

agreed, chill haze is caused by proteins that "should" have been removed during hot and cold breaks on brew day. these proteins that don't get fully removed will coagulate as the temperature drops.
they're always there, so they don't increase or decrease...they just become more visible.

taste difference is likely all in your head, not in the beer/tastebuds.

Latest posts

Back