Hazelnut in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pluchar

Reaction score
Heyo! I am looking to add hazelnut into an imperial stout. Just wondering what methods/amounts you guys have used in your beers and how it turned out. I have some sitting in vodka currently, but not sure of other methods or how much to use.

Thanks!

I brewed a hazelnut brown a few months ago and I used hazelnut extract added to the keg, just be careful with it if you use it. I over did it and ended up with what tasted like coffee creamer and had to brew up another 5 gallons and blend it. After it was at reasonable levels it was fantastic

I brewed a hazelnut brown a few months ago and I used hazelnut extract added to the keg, just be careful with it if you use it. I over did it and ended up with what tasted like coffee creamer and had to brew up another 5 gallons and blend it. After it was at reasonable levels it was fantastic

How much extract did you use? And what brand extract?

I am at work now, but I still have some at home so I will check when I get home and let you know.

I haven't tried hazelnut in beer, but I have for silk pies and ice cream.
I have also successfully used bourbon and rum in beers.
Putting those two together, I would put 175ml of DeKuypers Hazelnut Liquor in the primary before adding the wort. At least for cooking, DeKuypers was much better than Frangelico.

Sorry for the late reply work got a little hectic but this is what I use, it's brew craft hazelnut extract. On a side note, how the hell do I make it so every picture I upload isn't sideways?

20151211_222245.jpg

Back